Thursday, August 23, 2018

Local Dives and Eateries…

My father frowns upon my eating out, but I ate a big breakfast at Sarah Jay’s this morning. They claim to have the best burger in the Valley and I will have to try it sometime. For $8.99 I got a heaping portion of scrambled eggs, four slices of fried bacon, two biscuits smothered with sawmill gravy, and a bowl of buttery grits. It was a mighty fine breakfast and more than I could eat at a single sitting. I got a to-go box and brought the leftovers home to Maggie. My favorite part was the grits as they were cooked to perfection – creamy and seasoned well with lots of real butter.

A Tad Bit Tipsy…

Last night, I caught up with my father after driving to his house for a visit. I was lonely and needed our usual banter about family and things from the past. He had been drinking again and it makes me so mad. We go to such great gargantuan lengths to keep me away from alcohol and here he goes getting drunk. It is almost like a slap in the face.

“You’ve been drinking again,” I told him when he denied it. “I can smell it on you and you are slurring your words.”

He pushed his amply filled plastic cup of wine to the side where I couldn’t see it. I couldn’t help but smile. We watched Jeopardy as I drank a diet Coke and then I headed on home. One thing about dad when he has been drinking is that he is extremely affectionate and it will melt even the hardest heart and dispel the most verdant anger. He must have told me he loved me 20 times last night and kept wanting to hold my hand and feel it in his.

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

I dislike drunk folk. I know, I used to be one. That's why I know I don't like them.