Tuesday, August 07, 2018

An Injection With a Twist…

Chicken Biscuit“My babies have gone back to school,” Rebecca told me lamentingly this morning.

“It is just too early to be going back to school,” I replied very worriedly.

School was a horrific experience for me so I am biased. A time filled with countless superfluous homework, social anxiety, bullies, rote memorization and meaningless exams.

“We should have sent you to a school for the arts,” my father says in these later years.

“It is rather ridiculous to be going back to school the first week of August,” Rebecca agreed with me.

“I might be wrong, but I remember going back to school around Labor Day in September,” I told her. “We didn’t have air conditioning in our classrooms when I was in first and second grade.”

Rebecca gave me my shot and I thanked her profusely. She was all business this morning so our conversation didn't linger as it normally does. I told her she made a big difference in my life and I exited into the office. I left her with a smile on her face. Pat quickly made me a next appointment card.

“Here you go, Andrew. You have a great two weeks,” Pat said to me.

“Thank you for being so kind to me,” I replied and I headed to the front door.

I was handing my father my next appointment card when Ralph, a new pharmacy employee, offered me a chicken biscuit from Burger King.

“I ordered two butter biscuits and they put six chicken biscuits in my bag,” he told me of his bounty.

Dad was happily munching on a chicken biscuit sitting behind the counter. I ate my biscuit on the drive home and it was delicious and an unexpected treat.

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

K-12.edu is for people like us. If I could have homeschooled without the bullies, PE credits, and not being able to register for classes I needed because they were too full; I would have graduated high school at about 9 y/o!!

I didn't need a prom or glee club; I just needed the diploma so I could move on!