Thursday, March 23, 2017

Crack Cocaine -- It's a Helluva Drug...

I got a short call tonight, or a short shot in the dark I should say, The call was from my young cousin and it deeply worried me. It was young Blake and he was calling me from Atmore prison near Mobile and on the Florida coast.

There is also a Creek Indian reservation there with a wonderful and interesting restaurant and a slew of bingo halls to gamble your money away.

He pleadingly wanted $200 dollars transferred to his commissary fund.

"The food here is absolutely terrible," he added sounding downtrodden.

Let's not forget the fact that money will also buy you drugs in most prisons in this country.

Good thoughts did come to mind when thinking of my cousin, Blake. He deeply, deeply loved motorcycles and riding my Honda V-Twin CX500. He was always such a good little exuberant kid and that makes all this such a terrible tragedy. Dad said later that he is 6 foot tall and only weighs 90 pounds.

"I am in prison," he honestly told me. "I got hooked on cocaine and couldn't get off and they eventually caught me stealing items and pawning them."

"Blake, you will have to call my father about that as he controls my money coming in and out of this house," I told him treading very carefully as to what I divulged.

After we got off the phone, he called my father also wanting $200.

"You need to call your mother and tell her to step up to the plate and help you," dad told Blake about my mother's sister.

1 comment:

Rita said...

I knew someone in jail who called me and told me the same thing, "The food is terrible. Can you put some money on my books?" The thing is, he never consulted me about whether he should do his crimes, or not.

These kinds of people are working everyone they can. You know he has already called others and some of the naive are probably putting way too much money on his books.

My thought is that the worse the conditions in jail or prison, the less likely the person wants to go back.

I don't give crooks any money. They are working me, just like they are working anyone who will listen to them.