Thursday, May 17, 2018

Independence? A Year Away?

cropped_We_the_people_declaration_independence_iStockThe big hoopla around here today was that my father got his lawns fertilized and then it rained as he had hoped and planned. He has called me three times tonight elated at talking about it.

“Where do you see me in the year or so?” I asked my father late this afternoon during a serious moment on the phone.

“I see you financially independent,” he replied. “I am already started to move more that way. Notice the freedoms I’ve given you lately? I am just getting too old to keep up with two households.”

I sat there soaking all this in with much food for thought.

“Do you realize you bring home more money than the girls at the pharmacy do working?” dad told me. “Sandra has two kids and supports herself on what she makes as a pharmacy technician.”

All of this straight and honest talk was intriguing me. Dad has always traditionally hidden my finances from me.

“Now, I’ve got you some money saved up so don’t you go blow it all on those damnable computers,” he told me as we were getting off the phone. 

I promised him I wouldn’t and we said goodnight. I also wondered to myself how many glasses of wine he had for the evening.

Joy in a Box…

Yippee! My first order of monthly computer parts came today. I was sitting in dad’s den and asked him if he had heard UPS arrive.

“I think there is a package at the front door,” my father said wide-eyed at the look on my face.

I hurried up front, opened the door, and there was a much coveted Newegg box. I came straight home to install my two new Ergonomic 4000 keyboards.

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

For so long this is what YOU wanted! Freedom. To be able to buy something without being questioned. Just to be able to take a break during your day, go up to the local market and get a cold coke. I remember a convenience store. You would go in every morning and chat with the clerk. Even I carry a $5! LOL