Friday, May 04, 2018

Flabbergasted and Worried…

1424483355147Sorry about not writing yesterday. I had to ruminate over what happened.

We have already been getting up to 86°F degrees here. I’ve been keeping the house cool with a fan in the window in my bedroom. My air conditioner quit working so I called my father and told him about a few days ago.

“It just blows warm air,” I explained to him.

“And just when it is getting hot,” my father replied. “That would just be your luck.”

I got up under the house and checked all the fuses and everything seemed fine. I turned the unit on and it just makes an electrical sounding hum and the fan on the heat exchanger doesn’t run.

My father had a guy he trusted come and look at it yesterday. They are going to have to replace the whole unit and it is going to cost $3600.

“It is always something with houses,” my father told me solemnly this morning. “I told them to order the parts and go ahead and replace it.”

I felt sick at my stomach for my father to have to pay such an amount on my behalf. If I worked minimum wage then I would just have to go without air conditioning and tough it out. I told my father that and that I could just tough it out this summer.

“How about two window units?” I just asked my father. “That would cost about $1000 dollars and I wouldn’t mind at all. We could put one in my computer room and one in my bedroom. The hardest part would be installing 230 volt outlets in those rooms.”

“I’ve already told them to go ahead with the install,” my father told me blithely.

5 comments:

Jan said...

Oh my goodness, that sucks! I am one of those strange people who doesn't like the whole house air we have here, but my hubby MUST HAVE it.

I have to share a story about the people across the street from me. They have a beautiful house and a boxer named Clay. Last summer, they went to turn their two year old air on and it didn't work. Turns out Clay was lifting his leg and urinating on it all winter and it eroded the blades! They had to replace the whole unit after only two years...

Be glad Maggie is a girl, LOL!

Missed you yesterday!
Jan

Sharyn said...

If it isn't one thing, it's another!

glittermom said...

Cooling with two window units would probably cost more to run then a whole house unit. You shouldn’t feel guilty your father is paying for this...I’m sure he can well afford too..

Rita said...

I can't imagine living in the humid south in the summer without air conditioning. Central air increases the value of any home. How can you live without it? It is similar to someone living up north and not having a furnace. Glad you will be comfortable this summer.

Sharyn said...

Just thinking....Maybe your dad might be interested. We have a "Home Warranty". It costs us very little per month but if ANYTHING happens, they fix it for $60. We, too, are not looking forward to replacing our HVAC either but looks like we will soon! $60 instead of $3600! We wouldn't even have the $1000 for window units!!