Monday, May 07, 2018

It Never Fails…

9I was sitting on my bench behind the bank waiting for trains this morning. A mangy looking old fellow with a wild looking beard came walking down the tracks. I couldn’t put out my cigarette fast enough. I was too late, though. He had seen me smoking. He made a beeline right to where I was sitting.

“Hey man,” he said to me. “Could I borrow a few smokes?”

I gave him three cigarettes and he continued on into downtown. He didn’t even tell me thanks.

“You have a good one,” is all he said to me.

I don’t know what the lure is to me as far as the tracks are concerned, but I do know it is cathartic to me. I love to read a new issue of Model Railroader magazine while I smoke, drink sodas, and wait. To sit there and watch the signal go from green to yellow and then to red brings forth a great deal of excitement. 

2 comments:

Rita said...

I find the terminology all of us use interesting. He wanted to borrow 3 cigarettes? Was he going to return them when he was finished with them? No! He didn't really want to borrow 3 cigarettes, he wanted you to give him 3 cigarettes! Why don't people use the right terminology? Does borrowing make it sound better, when all parties it really isn't borrowing?

Rita said...

Does borrowing make it sound better, when all parties know it really isn't borrowing?