Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Why Can’t Charlie Just Buy Janice a Decent Computer?

The Computer Command Center[4]Janice called me around lunch today.

“I hate to bother you, Andrew, but my computer is acting up,” she told me. “Will you come and look at it?”

I headed straight over to Charlie’s new house.

“It is your page file,” I told her. “Your computer doesn’t have enough memory and it is using your hard drive as virtual memory. That’s why it is so slow. The hard drive is the weakest link in older computers.”

I checked the Dell computer and it only had 4 gigs of memory and a Pentium single core processor running at 2 GHz. It was a sloth by any other name. Slowwww…

“I am going over to get my kitchen computer and we are giving you a computer that is fast as hell,” I told her. “Gather all the files, bookmarks, and photos you want to keep in a folder and we can transfer them with a USB memory stick I have.”

My kitchen computer is heavy as hell and I had trouble getting it to my car without letting Maggie out the front door. Moments later, I had Janice’s new computer up and running. I just reused her monitor which was a decent Samsung monitor and also her Dell keyboard and Logitech wireless marathon mouse. It took about 30 minutes to reset Windows 10 to a clean install erasing all my old files.

“The whole thing glows blue,” Janice remarked of the new computer with a smile.

“Is it too much?” I asked warily. “It is all the rage in computer gaming circles.”

“No,” Janice said. “I kind of like it.”

The hardest part was reinstalling all her old software, setting up her printer, and setting up her WOW! email account.

1 comment:

glittermom said...

Get your air conditioner. Yet? I know how your dad procrastinates. Looks like it’s pretty hot down there. If gets too bad tell your dad you’ll come over his house and stay if too hot.