Tuesday, July 20, 2004

A Close Encounter of the George Kind…….

I haven’t seen George in days. I was wondering what happened to him. He is always down at the Piggly Wiggly as long as the sun is up. The rumor was that he was in jail. Slop told me a few days ago that it was on drug charges. I tend to take anything the guys down at the pig say with a grain of salt.

I walked down this morning to buy some eggs and bacon for breakfast. I also needed a fresh loaf of bread. As I walked up to the door, there sat George and Slop. Slop was just sitting there sweating drinking a coke and George looked down trodden as he sat on the bench.

“What’s up my brotha?” George said to me as I walked up. He said it without his usual enthusiasm.

“Hey man, I was wondering about you. Where have you been?” I asked back.

“Man, it be tha police. They be tryin to keeps a brotha down.” George replied.

“Why? What happened?” I asked out of curiosity.

“I gots charged on public drunkenness out here in front of the sto the other nights. I had no moneys for bail until my moms could get it up. I sat in Chambers county jail a few days.” George replied with a hint of anger in his voice.

I thought to myself that it really wasn’t the police’s fault. Our small force here is majority black and they tend to be nice fellows. They are not your typical small town southern police force. I wanted to lecture George that his actions got him into jail and not the police. I personally have seen them let George get away with a great many things. I decided this would be a fruitless endeavor and kept my mouth shut.

“When is your court date?” I asked.

“Next month, I thinks.” George replied.

“Well, don’t miss that court date or you will be looking at more than just a fine. They will put a warrant out for your arrest and you will surely have to do some time then.” I replied.

George just replied, “Fuck da Police!”

“I will see ya later man. I am hungry and have breakfast on the brain. Stay out of trouble George.” I replied.

Slop, as usual, asked for money and I just played the poor broke white boy. I bought what I needed and then headed home to cook breakfast.

No comments: