Monday, July 12, 2004

More Piggly Wiggly groupie antics…….

I rode down to the Piggly Wiggly. It is a daily affair for me. A ritual I should add. I buy my groceries as I need them and not in one big batch. I hate putting up large amount of groceries for some reason. I wanted some taco salad for supper and needed some fresh ingredients like ground beef, tomatoes, salsa, and lettuce.

I pulled up to the front and there was George. I didn’t see his car at first and thought I was in the clear.

“Hey, hey, my brotha! Come over here for a second.” George hollered.

There was a large group of black men hanging out down there today. There was Cap with Tag Guy, Slop, George, and a few I didn’t know their names. The quiet ones I call them. It was almost a hundred degrees today and these guys are just sitting in the heat in front of a dumpy grocery store.

“Tell my brothas how long yous been ins the Navy.” George asked.

I just laughed. Okay, it is time to play along and have some fun. I have told George time and time again that I was not in the Navy or never was. He insists that I was some big guy like a special ops corpsman.

“Oh, only four years. I did one tour of duty.” I replied.

“Hah! What did I tell ya? I told you motherfuckas so!” George cried out as he looked around to the other brothers for affirmation. “My man here, my brotha, was a killin machine. He could take every one of those sand niggas over there in Cambodia.”

It’s alright for a black man in the south to say nigger but don’t dare let an African American catch a white person saying that word.

“It’s Iraq George not Cambodia.” I replied back trying to stop a laugh from erupting. I was trying to be serious.

“What the fuck eva. I don’t give a fuck bout those towel heads.” George said.

“What’s this about me and you being brothas and us being separated at birth?” I asked as all the black guys down there started to snicker. George just sat there and smiled.

“We are half brothas. Yo daddy is white. I am going to bring a birth certificate to show you.” George said back to more snickers and choked back muted laughing.

“Okay man, what ever you say. Tell mom I said hello. I haven’t seen her since birth.” I replied back with a dead serious face and all the other black guys just busted out laughing. I left them all and went inside. They were giving George a hell of a time but in was all in good fun. They weren’t being mean. I got my supplies and headed home.

No comments: