Saturday, July 03, 2004

Talking with mom and dad…..

I called my mother first and checked up on her. She sounded much better and much more lucid. I know how it is to struggle with a sometimes debilitating disease.

“Hey Mom, are you okay?” I asked.

“I am fine, what are you doing?” She asked back.

“Oh, nothing much. Just enjoying my day. I slept for much of the day. I have been surfing around on the internet a lot this afternoon.” I replied. “I was really worried about you the other day. I just want you to be okay. I know what you go through.”

“I am fine. Don’t worry. I just had a bed spell. I feel much better.” She said.

“Well, you call me if you need me. You come over here if you need someone to talk to or get lonesome. I worry about you lying in the bed all the time. I worry you suffer from depression.” I replied.

“I am fine. I love you, you know that?” She replied.

“I love you too Mom. I know you don’t think my brother and sister care or call but I do and will.” I said.

I try to call her every day now and she how she is doing. I go over to sit with her most days as well. My father has asked me to help see about her in that I understand her condition.

“Well, I will let you go. You take care and I will talk to you tomorrow.” I said as I ended the conversation and hung up.

I then called my father on his cell phone. We are now back to talking like we used to do when I was younger after going for years estranged.

“Hey Dad, mom sounds better.” I said.

“Hey son, how are you? Yeah, she is doing better. Thanks for your help.” He replied.

“I had a rough go of it earlier but feel much better this afternoon.” I replied.

“Martha said you came over and got some Zyprexa. Are you feeling okay?” He asked.

“Yeah, I am fine. I just had a little tussle with Rachel and it threw me off kilter.” I replied back.

I went on to tell him about our fight yesterday.

“Don’t you let her get the best of you. You have done a hell of a lot for her. She is just a pistol and spoiled.” He replied.

“I know. I just can’t take her being mean to me for no reason. I makes me upset and it throws off my days.” I replied back.

“I have something I wanted to tell you.” He told me. “Your brother specifically asked if you are coming over tomorrow to eat with us. He wants you there.”

I felt overjoyed at my father saying this. I love my brother and miss him much. We were inseparable as children and grew apart as adults. He is a smart, bright young physician and a role model for me. He was also my moral and ethical compass as a child. I look up to him and sometimes put him on a lofty pedestal.

“I will be there for lunch tomorrow. Tell Alex I wouldn’t miss it for anything and I look forward to seeing Lilly and to see how much she has grown.” I said back with much enthusiasm.

“Come over about twelve. I am grilling barbeque chickens with your Grandmother’s special, homemade sauce.” He said.

“Sounds great! I will be there for sure.” I replied back and we ended our conversation.

I feel much better tonight. I cannot say how greatly appreciative I feel for how well my relationships with my family have grown. A few months ago we didn’t have contact and they didn’t trust me. They thought I was an irredeemable, mentally ill drunk. I know have contact with them everyday and we have a close relationship. I think that was one of the hardest things about me being homeless; to not have contact with and the support of my loved ones and to be estranged from them. I missed that community more than anything. I am glad to have it back and have tried so very hard to rebuild those relationships.

No comments: