Thursday, July 01, 2004

Whiffle ball…..

I have had a fun night. The neighbor’s kids were playing whiffle ball in my parents back yard. Earlier in the day they were playing camp in my tent. I had it set out to dry out after all that rain when I went camping a few nights ago. I overlook this as it is not my expensive kelty tent. It is just a $30 dollar tent from wal-mart. The kelty tent was over $200 dollars and that is for when I hike the Appalachian Trail. I save it for those days.

I walked down to my parent’s back yard. At first, the kids were apprehensive. Why was this adult joining us? They were worried they were in trouble for playing in my parent’s back yard.

I grabbed the plastic bat that was lying on the grass.

“Throw me a fast ball, boys.”

They laughed with glee and took their positions. First, second, and third base, they all lined up to play. Blake took the pitchers position.

Blake tossed the ball. I swung and missed.

“You suck!” he shouted and laughed.

“I would devastate you all in my old days. I could knock a whiffle ball out of the park when I was a child.” I hollered.

They had the dogwood tree past third base marked as homerun. Used coke cans were the bases.

I worried that my father would think we were tearing up his lawn. Good thing he was at work.

Blake threw another ball. I missed again as the ball whistled past me.

“Dang nab it, are you a pro? I think you need to sign up for the draft.” I said.

Blake squealed with glee at me saying this.

“I watch Jim Thome on TV!” He said as he excitedly got ready for the next pitch.

Blake threw the next pitch.

Bam! I hit it.

It flew towards third base and Blake’s brother caught it mid air. I cannot remember his name.

“You are out!” The boys all said as they ran towards me. It was the third out in their game.

I had to subdue my cursing. Hey, it’s kids.

“You boys have a good time.” I said.

They all cried don’t go. Blake ran up to me and asked me to stay.

“Blake, I have to take care of things. You all enjoy yourselves. You have a mean pitch.” I said. They were starved for an adult’s attention.

I walked home and started to write this post. I can still see them playing out my window beyond my computer. They are having a good time.

No comments: