Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Introducing Slop (Big S)…..

I walked down to the Chattahoochee River early this morning. The sun was just coming up. I was bored and restless and just had to get out of the house. I walked the trails behind the train tracks and checked out the water treatment plant beside the river. I watched as the putrid water swirled and foamed. The stench was nasty so I headed for greener pastures. I watched as the water rose in the river when they started to generate electricity up at the dam and opened the flood gates. It rose amazingly fast. The water was dangerous. My dad always told me to be careful of the river and to never swim in it.

After my hike I headed back towards home. I stopped by the Piggly Wiggly to buy some Gatorade. They have it on sale for 99 cents a bottle. I sat out in front on the bench drinking my Gatorade and up walked Slop. I had placed my big backpack up against the wall next to me.

Now Slop is an interesting character. He gets his name because he is like pigpen in the peanuts cartoons. He is always filthy. His clothes are dirty and he reeks of under arm odor. He is a very large black man and probably weighs around three hundred pounds. He walks along ponderously and with much effort. His belly hangs out between his blue jeans and t-shirt. He is always sweating profusely. Everyone down there calls him Slop and he apparently doesn’t mind.

“Hey bro, spare a po black man a dolla.” Slop asked.

“Slop, I don’t have it. I am almost broke.” I said as I lied.

“Ah man, come on, I know you has it.” Slop said.

“Slop, I am broke. Just leave me alone. I am tired from a long walk and just need to rest.” I said but this didn’t deter Slop.

“Are you and George really half brothas?” Slop asked. Slop is not too bright.

I just laughed and thought about my reply. I am as white as it gets. Blondish hair, blue eyes, fair skin, and freckles. It is obvious that I and George are not related. That’s why all the “brothas” got such a big laugh out of yesterdays exchange with George.

“Slop, take my word for it, me and George are not related.” I said.

Slop laughed really hard and patted me on my knee.

“That George, he sho be somethin else.” Slop said.

“Yes he is, yes shure ree, George is an interesting man.” I said as I got up and put my back pack on to walk home. I left Slop sitting there on the bench sweating bullets.

No comments: