Friday, July 09, 2004

Fishing down at the ole fishing hole……

I went fishing this afternoon. I just had to get away. I wanted some time to myself alone. I rode my bike down to the spectrum convenience store that is on the road that goes by the lake. I had to buy some night crawlers. I was wearing my big kelty pack and I am sure I looked strange. Many people looked at me with wondering eyes. What is this guy doing on a bike with a huge backpack? Is he homeless? Does he live in the woods? I have often got this kind of reaction from similar ventures. I don’t care what other people think. I know they are saying in this small town, “That is John Minter’s son, isn’t he pitiful?” A small town has a way of carrying rumors.

I went down to the river and fished for awhile. The fish weren’t biting. I sat for a long time listening to my little Sony radio. I sat there thinking about life and general things. Who am I and were am I going? Will I ever be successful like my brother and sister? I ponder over these things often and worry about them. I do not want to be a failure. Some lost soul who wanders through his life aimlessly.

I gave up on the fishing and sat behind the bank drinking a Gatorade. It had grown warm by this time but was still refreshing. I smoked a cigarette as I waited for a train to pass. I love trains and I am a rail fan. I watched as the signal turned from green, to yellow, and then red. A freight train came roaring by, blasting its horns through down town West Point Georgia. It made me feel better.

I think I will go camping tonight. Tomorrow is Saturday so I have no appointments. I will hike out spring road near the pond and pitch my tent. I want to go to bed to the sounds of the forest around me. I want to sit by the fire and smoke my pipe. I want its glow to envelope me. Yes, that’s what I will do. Go camping and rest my soul. I am feeling weary and need some comfort. I need wide open spaces and a broad sky to brighten my soul today. Good night and may you fare well.

No comments: