Friday, July 02, 2004

A talk with Rachel…..

I was sitting here on the computer writing my last post and the phone rang. Normally, I wait until the answering machine picks up to see who is calling. I walked over and answered the phone. I was worried that it was my father and something has escalated with my mother. It was my dear, loving ex-wife.

We talked a long time about day to day things. Small talk I should add. I was trying my hardest to be nice and amicable. She told me that her grandfather’s blood count was low. “T” is his nickname. I dearly love this man and I felt bad. He is a good fella and was always kind to me. I expressed my condolences. I am going to send him a card and an invitation to go fishing. He love to fish with me.

Suddenly, out of know where she began attacking me. I had just told her that I was driving Alaine up to Atlanta to see her neurologist tomorrow. She grew jealous. That was not my intention. She wanted to come over and I just wanted to let her know that I was going to be away. Insanity ensued.

“You never would go with me when we were married.” She hollered.

“Rachel, that is bullshit, you are manipulating the situation. I would have driven across the country to take you to the doctor.” I shouted back.

“It just makes me angry. You never wanted to do anything with me and you constantly do things for her.” She said while crying.

“Everything involved your parents.” I said. “You are stuck three feet up their ass. I do not like your mother and think she is viscous. I would have done more if everything didn’t entail them tagging along.”

She hung up on me. I thought to myself, “Fine!” A moment latter the phone rang again. I hesitated but finally picked up.

“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to rip into you. I just get mad about you and her.” She said while sniffling.

“Rach, I am going to be an asshole here but I do not care. I was your husband. I was very ill at the time and what did you do? You threw me out of the house and I was homeless. Money meant more to you than your husband. We had the money for me to go to the hospital but you threw me out and divorced me.” I said firmly.

“I tried so hard to see about you.” She said while sounding hysterical.

“No you didn’t. I was sick and still saw about you. When I was homeless I paid your bills. I paid for that trip to London you just had to go on. I have seen about you despite all the obstacles I have faced.” I replied. “If you had seen about me then I would be safe and not homeless. You wanted an easy way out and you took it.”

She just sat there and sobbed for a few moments.

“Tell me what you have done for me since the divorce?” I asked. “You have the house, our car, our dog and cat and you have much of my material possessions. You have all our many wedding presents. Name one thing that you have done for me. I have seen about you. I have given you thousands of dollars. I have fixed your computer countless times. I have even helped with your college assignments. Name just one fucking thing you have done for me since December. One thing since you divorced me.”

She hung up on me and has not called back. I hope she doesn’t call. She cannot face reality. I am sure she called her mother and has bitched about me. Everything, and I mean absolutely everything, is divulged to her mother. That was one of the hardest things about being married to her. I had no privacy.

No comments: