Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The well worn path……

Well, I made it! I have some nasty blisters on my pinky toe though. All in all in was a damn fine trip. I didn’t take as long as I thought. The miles really flew by. I hiked around 18 yesterday and made the rest after getting up at the crack of dawn this morning. I was expecting it to take much more time.

Last night, I slept in a clearing by the tracks. It was hardwoods so the ground was just covered with leaves and no undergrowth. I boiled some water and ate my freeze dried spaghetti and my apple crisp. Both were surprisingly good. I sat by the fire long after dark just thinking and smoking my pipe. The fire crackled and roared and then burned down to glowing embers. It was time for bed.

I lay on top of my sleeping bag for a long while. I couldn’t sleep. I normally do not get scared while camping out but I got spooked last night. I kept hearing noises all around me. It sounded like animals traipsing through the forest. I could hear the rustle of leaves as things moved about me. What were they? I have no idea. My rational mind knows that there are no animals around here that could hurt me. We don’t have bears or big predators. I think it was some possums, a coyote, or deer. We are overrun with deer here. I finally made it to sleep.

This morning, I got up at daybreak and got another fire started. I boiled some water on my camp stove and ate some onion, cheese, and hash brown casserole. All I had to do is add boiling water, seal the top and let it sit for awhile. I just ate it out of the foil pouch so I wouldn’t have any dishes other than my spoon to wash. I then packed up my tent and put everything in the backpack and hit the trail or tracks I should say.

I finally made it Lafayette. The tracks ended up behind the old railroad museum. I walked the mile over to the county courthouse and there sat the car. I put my stuff on the backseat and cranked it up. I sat there for awhile with the air conditioning on high. Man, it felt good. Well, I will close. I am very tired after all that hiking.

No comments: