Friday, July 23, 2004

The Pirates of the Valley……

Man, is it hot today. My thermometer shows 95 degrees and the probe is in the shade. I bet it is close to 100 in the open. I am going to try and stay in as much as possible.

I broke one of my frugal rules this afternoon. I turned on the air conditioner. I was just sitting here soaking wet with sweat and decided to compromise. I gave in. I set the thermostat on 80 degrees and at least that is better than sitting here in ninety degree weather sweating my ass off. I wonder what people did in the south before air conditioning. I guess you just got used to it. That’s why all the old homes like my parents house had twenty foot ceilings so the heat would rise. My parents house was built in 1923 and has enormously tall vaulted ceilings. It is a really neat house and if my digital camera wasn’t torn up I would post some pictures.

I just got back from the Piggly Wiggly and am glad to be out of the heat. I saw George but managed to avoid him. I didn’t want to fool with that crap today. The last thing I wanted was to stand in the heat and hear George’s antics. Sorry, no George post today.

I did stop by the flea market on the way home. It is open on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The pirate booth was open and I was amazed at what software and DVDs they had for sell and the prices. I am still amazed that something like this is going on in such a small town such as Lanett; a little Podunk town in the middle of nowhere Alabama.

They had Macromedia studio mx 2004 for $50 bucks and that software goes for hundreds of dollars retail. They had windows server 2003 for $50 bucks as well. They also had Adobe Photoshop for $50 bucks. I then walked over to look at the DVDs. They had all the current in-theater favorites for 10 bucks. They had I, Robot, Spiderman 2, King Arthur and many others that are not yet out in retail. They also had tons of popular music CDs at $5 bucks each. I mean everything is current and up to date.

These folks are going to get busted sooner or later and busted hard. They are a nice dressed black couple. The lady is heavy set but wears very expensive jewelry. They must be making a killing because there is always a ton of people crowded around their booth. I wonder if the local police would even care.

Well, let me go work on my computer. I am going to reinstall WindowsXP and clean things up. This should take over an hour but I love to have a nice, fresh install of windows every few weeks on my main computer. Good day.

No comments: