Monday, July 12, 2004

An evening with Meemaw…..

Meemaw was my father’s mother. Never a kinder or gentler soul have I met in this world. I am writing a collection of stories to be given to relatives as a Christmas gift. It is going to be printed by a local company and paid for by me. It is a collection of stories revolving around my grandmother and her relatives and based in Waverly, Alabama. Here is a story I was working on today. I just wanted to share it. It is a work in progress so keep that in mind.

I could hear Meemaw in the next room as I put on my Spiderman pajamas. She was brushing her dentures and then I heard her walk into the bedroom and then the click and buzz of the window air conditioner unit as it was turned on.

“Woo hooo, Jonathon; are you getting ready for bed?” She hollered from the next room.

“Yeah, Meemaw, I have my pajamas on and I took a bath.” I cried back.

“Well good, let’s go sit on the porch for a bit and listen to the katydids and watch the cars go by.” She said as she walked into the room in her ages old night gown and slippers.

We stepped out onto the porch and took our seats in two ancient old rocking chairs. They were painted dark green. It was a warm and humid night but not uncomfortable. Waverly is a sleepy town with a population of 200 mainly older people. Most houses were now dark as their owners had headed to bed.

“Meemaw do you remember being a kid?” I asked. I could never imagine her being so young. She seemed so ancient to me.

She laughed heartily and replied, “I was just as young as you once. Why do you ask such a silly question?”

“Well, what did kids in your time do for fun?” I asked back inquisitively.

“We had to work picking cotton and doing chores on the farm for much of day.” She replied.

“That doesn’t sound like much fun. Did you all play?” I asked back.

“I will tell you a story.” She replied. “We loved to catch a June bug and tie a string on its hind leg.”

This caught my interest. This sounded neat.

“Why? What would it do?” I inquired.

“It would fly around and around on its leash like a remote controlled helicopter. It was like a pet flying machine.” She said.

“Wow! That sounds neat and fun. I want to catch me a June bug tomorrow and try that.” I said as I yawned.

“Me and you need to head to bed. We are both yawning.” She said.

We both walked to my bedroom and I crawled into bed. She kissed me good night on the forehead. I wrapped up tight in the soft covers and drifted asleep to the drone of the air conditioner. Another wonderful day in Waverly came to a fitting and peaceful close.

No comments: