Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Taking it one day at a time…..

I had an interesting AA meeting last night. We were focusing on taking things one day at a time and how this can help us with an addiction. I tend to try and tackle too many things at once and I know I should just concentrate on the day before me and not the rest of the week or my whole life. Sure, it is smart to plan for the future but I must concentrate on not taking a drink or smoke today first. Let what tomorrow brings come and focus on today. Tomorrow I will treat it the same way; one day at a time. This helps keep a seemingly unmanageable problem seem manageable.

I’ve had a good day today. The social security situation is taken care of and this is a great burden off of me. I thought it would be complicated but it was simple. I and my father just had to show some ID and then sign some forms and that was it. The next month the check will come to my parents.

On the ride home, I had a long conversation with my father.

“What are you going to do with the rest of your day Dad?” I asked.

He sighed

“I’ve got to take your great aunt to go pick okra at a friend’s garden and then take her to the grocery store back down in Opelika.” He said. “It’s my off day and I am worn out. I have to do this every Wednesday.”

My father still hasn’t recovered from his long drive to San Diego last week to move my brother and his wife.

I had a bright idea. This idea would be a good way of further regaining my father’s trust and to pay him back for all he has done for me.

“Dad, I will take her and will do this every Wednesday for you.” I said.

“Are you sure? It’s a big responsibility and you will have to do it every Wednesday.” He said.

“Don’t worry I will take care of it. I am going to start spending one night with her every week as well.” I replied.

“She will be thrilled to death to see you and even more if you start staying over there some during the week.” He replied sounding relieved.

My great aunt Myrtis was born in 1918 and is 86 years old. She still gets around well and you would think she was in her late sixties or early seventies. She can be a pain to deal with sometimes but always treat me well.

I drove over to God’s country (Waverly, Alabama) and went to Myrtis’s house. She was thrilled to see me and had a country lunch fixed. We ate cornbread, fried corn, snap beans with okra and new potatoes and a dessert of sliced peaches sprinkled with sugar.

After lunch, we drove a long ways out a dirt road to a friend of hers house. We spent an hour picking fresh okra out of their garden. After that, we drove down to the Winn Dixie in Opelika and bought her groceries. It didn’t take very long even though she walks at a snails pace. She bought a lot of stuff for making homemade preserves and jellies.

We finally arrived home and she showed me how to make homemade fig preserves. She knows a lot of homesteading knowledge that is almost lost to my generation. I eagerly watched what she did and wrote down the directions and the recipe. She said next week she will show me how to can and store tomatoes and green beans. I don’t want this kind of knowledge lost and will be there next week.

Well, I’ve had a busy day and sorry for such a long post. I am going to fix supper and then kick my feet up on the porch with a good book and an icy cold glass of tea. Be well.

No comments: