Monday, November 06, 2006

Among the Rails…

I managed to hike about 7 more miles today upon the rails. I took a shortcut through the loading docks by the old cotton mill and walked past the abandoned guard house. A police officer saw me about to start down the sidewalk and pulled in from the highway.

“Can I see the contents of your backpack, sir?” He asked me as he stepped out of his car with his hand upon his can of pepper spray.

I opened my backpack to reveal my water bottle, energy bars, an emergency poncho, several packs of cigarettes, and my little Sony radio.

“We’ve had reports of someone shoplifting the shops up the road and then escaping behind the mill down the tracks. Have you seen anyone?” He then asked me.

“I keep seeing this strange guy walking the tracks some days,” I replied.

“Can you describe him?”

“Old green national guard overcoat, faded jeans, dirty baseball cap, tall and lanky, long grey hair around his shoulders,” I replied.

“That’s our man,” The police officer said. “Give us a call next time you see him and we will come and pick him up. Sorry to have bothered you.”

I nodded yes as the police officer climbed back into his car and drove off at a brisk pace. I knew that guy was up to something by the way he was acting the other day. The clanging backpack full of stuff was a clue as well. The tracks would make a convenient escape route as there is little access from the roads to them behind that mile long old abandoned cotton mill.

I finally walked back into downtown on up to the shopping center. Cap w/ Tag Guy was leaning against the wall between the dollar store and the grocery store. He shook my hand as I walked by. There were no other signs of the gang though. I hope that when George gets home Wednesday that things will pick up with them. I miss writing about their conversations and adventures. I need some spice in my life other than nosey police officers looking for vagrant shoplifting vagabonds.

1 comment:

abbagirl74 said...

spice in your life, eh? There will be plenty of spice come next year on the Appi trail. It will come. These days are coming up short, wouldn't you say?