Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Restless Nights and Rambling Ideas…

It is 12:30 A.M. according to the clock resting upon my entertainment center. I have yet to set it back from the time change. Time is such a relative thing.

I just took a long drive out into the countryside while listening to WWL 870 AM radio out of New Orleans. I stopped at the end of spring road and was greeted by a crisp and cool fall night; a myriad thousand stars shone upon the sky with nary a cloud to obscure them. Far off, the distant hoot of an owl could be heard. It was such a lonesome sound. It is times like these I so much enjoy. Nothing stirs my soul more than experiencing the wonders of Nature and the world we live upon.

I have been reflecting upon my life a lot lately and thought long and hard on the drive home after turning off the radio. Things have been going pretty well. I am content with my life and that is a good feeling. I have a warm home and plenty to eat and drink. All my basic needs are met and that is all that really matters. I am also no longer in that disastrous marriage that kept me so miserable for years. Bless Rachel’s dear soul, but she was a horrible wife and not a very good friend or companion. That whole ordeal seems like some bad dream or nightmare these days as if it were all in my mind. Carolyn makes Rachel pale in comparison as far as a woman and a friend goes.

My social life has been vibrant these days as well. I have Carolyn for my emotional and sexual needs and desires. I have George back and the gang is slowly regrouping due to his presence once again. I do so much enjoy our interactions and the unorthodox lives of the gang. If we can just keep George out of jail, it will make for interesting social interactions for me and an interesting blog as well. I know that sounds so selfish. That is not the real reason I want him to stay out of jail. I want him free because he is a friend and deserves the best. Friends want what is best for each other.

My heart goes out to Ferret tonight. I did manage to take him my fleece sleeping bag liner yesterday afternoon. The temps are supposed to only get down to forty degrees tonight so he should stay warm enough. I know what he is going through via first hand experience. I have been homeless and spent many a cold winter night out in the woods in a tent. I can remember lying in my sleeping bag on subfreezing nights longing for the warmth of the sun to arrive in the morning. One of the biggest lessons homelessness taught me was to live for the day. You never know what will happen tomorrow. Yes, it is wise to plan ahead sometimes, but you really truly only have the day or only an hour on hand before you.

I don’t have much planned for tomorrow. As usual, my schedule is free so I can do whatever I want to on a whim. I will make my daily hike. I will cook breakfast, lunch, and supper. I may even head down to see how Ferret fared overnight in the morning. I guess I kind of live a charmed life not having to work, but I do have to pay a dear price for it. That is the price of an unwell mind that is as fickle as the wind. One day’s glory and good can be tomorrow’s tormented madness. C’est la vie as the French say; such is life.

I am extremely excited about having a digital camera again and an extremely nice one to boot. I won’t be able to use it until Christmas day so you all will have to wait until then for pictures of my daily hikes and other discoveries along the way. I have so many ideas of things I want to photograph and share. I hope to be a right shutterbug in a month or so. From the reviews I have read of the camera I ordered, it is a gem of a photo taker. It can also record movies.

Well, I have rambled enough and must amble towards the bed. I doubt I will sleep though. I will lie with only Maggie and my thoughts to keep me company for many hours ahead most likely. Stop by in the morning and I will write an update on Ferret for ya’ll to read if he is at his camp when I walk down there. Hopefully, he will be in better spirits tomorrow. And what would a day be without George? Maybe George will make himself known tomorrow as well. I do hope so. Good night and sweet dreams.

4 comments:

greglo said...

The way you work with your blog is really inspiring!
As the other things you do, it shows the quality , delicacy, attention you put into things you do.

In this last post I particularly enjoy your naight drive? I love the nightime in the countryside too. These are such wonderful time.

I can't wait to see the pictures!!!!!!

... videos too.... so we may have a video post once in a while????????


Best thoughts,

Laurent

A. J. said...

When I was younger I would find myself in my big gold truck driving to nowhere in particular. The time was when I was 17 and 18 shortly after my father's untimely death. I would cruise the back roads of Texas with the radio off in search of some sort of peace. While I did not find peace on those country roads, I did clear my head and seemed to mellow my anger at the world. Peace, ironically, was found at 42nd and Broadway in New York City a few years later in early 2001. It was there I met a homeless man named Francis. He played the violin so beautifully as crowds passed him dropping change in his case. Here was this man with nothing but his instrument and he was happy with the music he played. It puts it all into perspective. Fortunately for me I was on a trip home to Dallas on September 11, 2001. I have yet to revisit that great city. I plan to soon though.

AJ

Kristen said...

Andrew:
Far off, the distant hoot of an owl could be heard. It was such a lonesome sound. It is times like these I so much enjoy. Nothing stirs my soul more than experiencing the wonders of Nature and the world we live upon.

Such a vision of Peace on Earth.

Thank you.

abbagirl74 said...

well, I am catching up on your posts now. What a good evening you had. Wish I could have been there with you.