Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Cold Outside, but the Hearth is Warm…

It is just another brutally cold morning dawning. I stood outside smoking my pipe in the predawn dark as I shivered. We actually had a few flurries of snow blow through overnight which was the first snow I have seen in years although insignificant. It was nice to see the old white stuff on the radar so soon before Christmas and the holidays. I hummed Bing Crosby’s I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas as I smoked quickly and then shot back inside shying away from the cold.

Carolyn slept over last night and had to be in to work at 5 A.M. this morning.

“Glad it’s you and not me,” I told her after her shower while she was getting dressed as I mulled around the kitchen getting some breakfast ready.

“I would never get up this time of the morning like you always do if I didn’t have to work,” She replied from my bedroom as I stood over my stove. “Why do you get up so early?”

“I can’t sleep,” I replied. “I am always up at 3 A.M. these days.”

“I think I know something that will keep you in the bed,” She said as she smiled seductively.

“Yeah, but that’s not sleep and doesn’t count!” I replied as I laughed heartily.

It is good for me and Carolyn to be back on jovial and kidding terms. We love to tease each other and flirt.

Carolyn wanted pancakes and sausage for breakfast. I just happened to have some mix in my kitchen cabinet, but my pancakes turned out kind of flat and didn’t rise like they should. I am just not a pancake type of person for breakfast. Give me ham and cheese omelets any day.

Just before Carolyn left for work, I showed her a website called Trek Passions (where you can find and date other like minded scifi and Star Trek fans) that I had found on Wil Wheaton’s blog.

“Just think!” I told her excitedly. “We could run off and have a Klingon themed wedding like a bunch of real Star Trek nerds!”

“Only in your wildest dreams,” Carolyn replied as she smiled amused. “If me and you ever get married, we are going to have a nice and quiet service up at the court house in front of a judge. I’ve had my fill of grand wedding spectacles.”

We kissed each other goodbye as Carolyn headed home to feed her cats and then head on into work. It is good to get things back to normal around here as far as she is concerned.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Nobody! And I mean nobody updates their websites or blogs this time of the morning. I too struggle with insomnia due to medications. It is so nice to stop by and read a post by you to start off my morning.You should really look into writing as a carer. I once again felt and could picture being in the room with you and Carol as this unfolded. Let me go take my morning meds and get some breakfast started as well. Your friend,

Kim

P.S. EMAIL ME!!!!

Summer said...

and for me too...

austere said...

Thank you very much for the link.

A star trek theme weddign? you were only teasing, right?

becky said...

What a beautiful morning. I'm glad for you.

I guess the email the other night was not appropriate. Sorry.

latibug said...

Wow...I wish it would cool off here. AZ is always so hot and this winter when we were wanting and expecting a break...got nothing...so far.

Here is wishing you a happy turkey day!