Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Wonderful Rainy Night…

I once again slept in my tent last night. I couldn’t sleep though at first. A friend had recommended the book Robinson Crusoe via email the other day. I found a paperback copy in my parent’s garage (the library) and stayed up way late last night reading it. It was much easier reading than War and Peace.

It started raining after midnight and I finally grew sleepy. I curled up in my summer weight sleeping bag listening to the crickets chirp and the rain drops fall. Those sounds were so comforting. I awoke around 5 AM this morning and the rain had stopped. The air was damp and cool with another fog rolling in off the Chattahoochee. I lit my candle lantern and stumbled to the edge of my yard near the woods to relieve myself.

This morning I wanted a camp breakfast so I boiled some water on my camp stove and prepared a freeze dried packet of hash brown casserole. I also made a big cup of Tang. I shouldn’t cook inside my tent like that as it is dangerous and could catch fire from the heat, but I was avoiding the damp cold by staying wrapped up in my sleeping bag while I prepared breakfast. That cheesy casserole was delicious and so filling and warm.

6 comments:

Wilderness Artist said...

I tried camping in my back yard, but the train whistles are so loud I got no sleep! Crickets are nice ...

Today we vote. I have never voted straight ticket in my life, but am doing it this time in protest of the way things are. If I had my way I would be voting for some of the Green candidates, but will not because that just gives strength to those I wish to oust.

There is a great blog of insights of authors from all over the world on a variety of topics at Hampton Roads Publishing.

Learning tip for the day. When in preview mode, do not attempt to see if your link is functioning because it pops up in the comment window, and there is no back button! (All typing is lost.)

abbagirl74 said...

Tang. Wow, I haven't drank that in years. Does it still taste the same?

Sounds like a nice time last night. It seems as though you are getting much better rest.

m said...

mmmm....camp breakfast and a good book!.....sounds like a lovely morning.

The Pencil Of Justice said...

your outdoor adventures sound really interesting. i love the outdoors, especially the crickets and the cold fresh air. keep hiking!

tatiana blanco said...

wow, nice blog

Proxima said...

You should come visit me here in Washington State, we could go canoeing down Highway 2 or Highway 101. Better yet, could you build an Arc and come pick me up?

-P