Monday, November 13, 2006

Down and Out…

I only hiked four miles today. I just wasn’t in the mood for walking. I go through phases and right now I am addicted to computer hardware and upgrading my computers. Today, I added another 1 GB of memory bringing the total RAM in my computer to 2 GB. That should last me until Windows Vista is released sometime around the New Year.

I did walk through the woods to find Ferret at his campsite early this morning. Ferret has the perfect homeless camping spot. His campsite is nestled between the train tracks and the Chattahoochee River back in a secluded part of an old overgrown pecan tree grove.

I was pleased to find Ferret hasn’t started back drinking yet. He was in a dour mood though.

“Those fucking trains kept me up all last night and I about froze my ass off,” Ferret said. “This Wal-Mart sleeping bag sucks. I can’t believe I am homeless again.”

“I will bring you a fleece bag insert this afternoon,” I told him. “That will increase that cheap bag’s temperature rating by about twenty degrees.”

“I will appreciate it,” Ferret replied.

“Have you had any breakfast?” I then asked him.

“I had a couple of honey buns and a Coca-Cola,” Ferret replied.

“Let’s walk across the tracks to Sarah Jay’s and get us some cups of coffee,” I told him.

Ferret agreed it would be a welcomed respite on this still chilly cold morning. We sat and drank coffee until we had worn out our welcome. Ferret told me all about living in that group home for indigent, alcoholic, and homeless men down in Columbus. I was sure to leave a very good tip to compensate for the long time we talked as we held up a table in the busy restaurant.

6 comments:

mago said...

Hello. Nice new outfit of Your site. I would like to see some photographies You (will) take (with Your tremendous new technological tool). Want to expres my sympathy.
mago

abbagirl74 said...

Well, at least Ferret is alive and somewhat healthy. What will he do when the nights get down to freezing? You are such a good friend to him.

nobody said...

Cheers to Ferret.

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

Glad to hear Ferret's doing OK so far, I hope he continues to do so. I cannot imagine sleeping in a tent. I don't even like camping, even in summer. But to have to sleep in a tent during the winter... I cannot imagine.

I am so thankful to have what I have. I do not take my bed and walls surrounding it for granted.

m said...

I always think you can tell a lot about a person by how they tip. You are obviously a considerate man!

Summer said...

We'd all be very lucky to have you as our friend. I hope Ferret stays warm tonight.