Sunday, November 19, 2006

When Life Falls into your Lap….

I have found that when I don’t have anything to write about, I get out of the house and go find something. Life has a way of just falling into your lap when you least expect it and go out in search for it.

I hiked my usual 6 miles this afternoon. I tend to be a creature of habit and will walk the same path everyday. I think I have memorized every stone, plant, and landmark along the path that I hike.

As I was crossing the parking lot to the shopping center headed for home, a very rough looking lady made a beeline straight towards me. I have seen her around often and George and the gang all avoid her. The rumor is that she has a bad methamphetamine habit. Panhandlers tend to all have the same modus operandi. They hit you up hard and fast to catch you off guard. I have watched Big S enough times to know this pattern well.

“Excuse me sir, but you haven’t got a cigarette and four dollars I could borrow?” She asked me walking ever closer and aggressively.

I offered her a cigarette, but it wasn’t menthol so she didn’t want it. I also told her I didn’t have any money on me and I wasn’t lying. I had left my wallet at home. They never believe you though.

“I see you walking all the time,” She said. “Do you not have a car?”

“I have a car,” I replied. “I just walk for fun.”

“You mean you walk that far everyday just for the hell of it? Are you crazy or something?”

I laughed and said, “Yes, I do it just for the hell of it.”

“You must live nearby,” She said as she started to follow me.

I didn’t want this lady to know where I live. If George and the gang think you are bad news then you are indeed bad shit waiting to happen.

“I still have two more miles to walk,” I replied.

It was obvious she wasn’t interested in walking that distance. She slowly lagged behind me as I passed the corner next to the shopping center where George and the gang often hang out and she didn’t follow any longer. I breathed a sigh of relief that I had managed to ditch her. I had shudder inducing visions of her and her meth-head friends ransacking my house and carrying the spoils to the pawn shop.