Sunday, November 05, 2006

Elucidation…

I just got an interesting email from someone who wrote in regards to my previous post. And I thought I was the only one up this time of the morning. They wrote…

Andrew,

Don’t you think that most psychiatric medications are over prescribed? I am appalled at how often Ritalin and other mind altering drugs are prescribed by doctors to control children and their actions. I know that I thought I was depressed from time to time [which is a normal feeling by the way] and sought out treatment for it until I realized that I was being overmedicated for something that was perfectly normal. It is okay to feel down and it is a normal feeling to have. It is also normal for children to be active and restless and not want to sit still for hours on end learning stuff they are not interested in. What child wants to sit in a desk all day for eight hours when he could be outside exploring the world and discovering nature and their backyards filled with wonders? Anyways, I was interested in your thoughts.

~AM~



My elucidation is that, yes, many medications are over prescribed and it has become a big business in the United States and all across the globe. I, too, am appalled at how many children are being medicated for perfectly normal behavior. I thought school, as a child and a young adult, was the biggest bunch of bullshit I had ever experienced in all my life. I learned far more life important skills spending the summers on my grandmother’s farm for those few short months that I was there than I ever did spending most of my childhood in public schools. I learned about life and not arithmetic tables.

I would sit in school bored out of my mind most days and luckily, never had to study to get decent grades and could get by as long as I avoided math. I see now that school and higher education is just a conditioning process to mold young people to accept and become affluent participates in a protestant work ethic influenced environment. Very little true altruistic life skills (if any) are taught in schools such as money management, nutrition and dietary considerations, emotional coping skills, building healthy relationships and friendships; all things that would have benefited me to no end if they were taught as I wasn’t being taught them in my home by my parents as a child. Instead, I was taught to employ rote memorization to pass silly, often overly hard, exams and to sit diligently and quietly for hours everyday and to listen to some authoritarian person tell me what should be important; all skills that would only be important for me to fit in a work environment of the profession of my choice. I can pretty confidently say I have never benefited from these skills in my non working life and I no longer work so they are moot.

The above brings me to the point that many people are often medicated as “mentally ill” when they break the laws and norms of society or don’t go with the flow so to speak. Oddity or eccentricity is often seen as a character flaw by the mundane, vast majority of society. We are taught that conformity, group think, social compliance, work ethic, etc, are far more important values than individuality and eccentric brilliance in my opinion. Individuals that walk to the beat of their own drum can often get lost in our mental health care system as ill and sick with a strong need to be medicated to force compliance. I have been a victim of this mindset many times myself during my short life by my father. Person’s who conform and “play to win” excel in modern American society as our extreme work ethic and competitiveness extols such values. The rest are left on the wayside or medicated in an attempt to bring them up to society’s standards for living.

Anyways, I will quit rambling. Thanks for the thoughtful email. I enjoy exploring, writing, and thinking about these subjects. Although, I think I will probably have pissed a few friends off with my ramblings though.

7 comments:

Summer said...

Thank you, thank you for saying that! I've been saying it for years, as my young son will never fit into what the school system deems appropriate education for his future. He has ADHD and a learning disability, math being a huge problem for him. They've set him up to fail though through these arbitrary tests of what he has memorized over the years. Oh he will get out of high school, but will they deem him worthy of a diploma? We'll see. He is medicated for his ADHD, as he truly has it, like his father. But his father turned to alchohol to keep himself calm and I don't want that for my son.

I wish we could talk more about your thoughts on this. Have a great day!

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I felt it necessary to reply to some of your blanket statements about education. Please do not get me wrong, I feel informal education (like you get in exploring the woods, farms, etc) is EQUALLY essential to a formal education.

You state:

“I see now that school and higher education is just a conditioning process to mold young people to accept and become affluent participates in a protestant work ethic influenced environment.”

My reply:

Sir, I think the above statement is a bit far fetched. The true role of formal education is to teach people the higher level thinking skills that are going to help them think more deeply, more intelligently, and more broadly about the world about them and to give them skills to help them appreciate and make better, informed choices. While you may be right that MANY PEOPLE look at education as simply a training facility to get a job, that is not the intent of education by any educator worth his/her salt. We educators cannot help that kids get shoved into our system being told by their parents that they have to do “this” to get a job. We educators do not want a bunch of automatons who do not think. Especially in my own educational environment, the university, our goal is to attempt to break those notions of our institution being a “job training center”. The university education has not, nor is it ever intended to be job training (This is different than for the community college, as that is their primary goal).

You state:

“Very little true altruistic life skills (if any) are taught in schools such as money management, nutrition and dietary considerations, emotional coping skills, building healthy relationships and friendships; all things that would have benefited me to no end if they were taught as I wasn’t being taught them in my home by my parents as a child.”


My reply:

While I can sympathize with the notion that you were not taught the life skills you state above, they are not really the perview of what formal education is for. You are CORRECT in stating that the above listed skills should be taught at home. It is unfortunate that in many homes they are not taught. But does that mean that the significant skills formal education is meant to provide should be thrown out the window? I think not. I think that happens far too much already in standard K-12 education. I get plenty of freshman at my University who have absolutely no ability to reason or think logically, and cannot add 3+4 successfully.

You state:

“Oddity or eccentricity is often seen as a character flaw by the mundane, vast majority of society. We are taught that conformity, group think, social compliance, work ethic, etc, are far more important values than individuality and eccentric brilliance in my opinion.”

My reply:

Unfortunately, you are correct in many ways in the above. Fortunately, a good percentage of people who are truly odd or eccentric find there way into a life of the University level academician. This is a very good fit for most of us as it gives the flexibility and atmosphere to explore our eccentricities and create new and hopefully insightful thoughts, ideas, and opinions.

PipeTobacco

Wilderness Artist said...

I would sit in school bored out of my mind most days and luckily, never had to study to get decent grades and could get by as long as I avoided math.


And, now, I even more highly recommend the book, "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine Aron. In it you will understand many of the thoughts that come to you and where they come from.

Two more: "The Ancestral Mind" by Gregg D. Jacobs, and "Beyond ADD" by Thom Hartmann.

Both say that there are differences in the way different brains function. Jacobs refers to the two brain types as "ancestral" vs "modern". Hartmann refers to them as either the "hunter brain" or the "farmer brain". The farmer brains can focus on the same thing for an extended time (good for making sure the crops do not wither and die.) The hunter brains are always on the move (good for hunting food and to keep from BEING food.)

The farmer brains were more prevalent when the school systems were invented. The hunter brains are showing a comeback, because the world is getting more and more complicated, and the ever-moving brain has advantages.

The farmer brains diagnose the hunter brains as not normal and give them medicine to calm down. (True, some may really need the medicine. But many, as you say, are just being kids.)

Having a hunter brain is a gift. All those kids on medicine for ADD are gifted. Gifted does not mean you are brilliant in all ways for everything. No one is that.

Each one of us has a gift to share with the world.

gregoire5 said...

"...spending the summers on my grandmother’s farm..."

That's something I really hope you'll want to share with us!!!!! I bet you can write wonderful things about your memories on the farm.

This is rural France here, and it's beautiful. Most of us have wonderful childhood memories of spending magical moments with our grandparents or roaming around freely in the country.

Best thoughts,

Laurent

~*~K said...

While I would love to comment on this post, I simply cannot. It would be far too long, and I'm sure that I would be flamed for some of my comments.

I agree with Pipe on a lot of levels, and I also agree with you, Jonathon, on others.

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

Well, if this were a real life conversation with someone, I would have a lot to say, share, add, etc, because I have so much real life experience with so many illnesses, including my own.

However, I would just like to say the following. A person of ANY AGE needs PROPER treatment UNIQUE to that person's symptoms. Treatment consists of many things, from medications, therapy, counseling etc. What works for one person may not work for others. Some only need medication. Some only need therapy.
Sometimes it takes YEARS to find the right treatment (just as was stated that it took Andrew so many to find the med that works for him). Sadly, the longer it takes to find an effective treatment combo, symptoms usually get worse and the person suffers.
If left untreated, the person will only get worse. And by treated I mean any one or more of the above listed. I personally did not get EFFECTIVE treatment until my early twenties (needless to say my teen years were miserable) and my treatment evolved over the years into one medication, counseling and therapy. I reached a point where I no longer needed the therapy and now only take the med. But I am concious of my illness and have no problems going back for therapy if need be one day. I know for a FACT that I cannot live a normal life without taking my med everyday.
And I also know for a fact that if it were not for finally finding a good psychologist and being on this specific med, I would not have the life I have now, because who knows how long it would have been before I got the right treatment that worked FOR ME.
I do think changing your thinking helps, but for me only to a certain degree. I think changing ones thought processes can add to the success of other treatment regiments. Some people simply CANNOT change their thought processes due to their specific illness. While others could try all day and night to change their thought processes but still be overwhelmed with symptoms that impedes on their living any semblence of a 'normal' life.

Finally, I'd like to say. I don't have a vision of 'normal'. My life has been an interesting one from birth until this very minute. 'Normal' for me is VERY different from normal to everyone else. And I have no problem with the fact that my normal involves taking a pill everyday, nor do I have a problem with taking it everyday for the rest of my life, if need be. I am happy. I have problems, drama and issues, but when I step back I can say I am happy. And I owe that happiness to finding a medicine that works, getting therapy, and educating myself on what mental illnesses are. I read, and still read, everything I come across pertaining to illnesses, just just my own specific one.

And Andrew, Kudos to you for having a blog that makes people think. Even when people disagree, inspiring others to contemplate the lives of others as well as their own is a wonderful thing. Blessings to you.
Liz

Wilderness Artist said...

Great comments, Liz.