Friday, November 10, 2006

Drunken Driving Drama…

As I made my way on the last jaunt of my hike today, I saw George in his dilapidated 1981 Dodge Diplomat most likely driving drunk through downtown. Old habits die hard it seems and George is playing with fire. If he gets pulled over again he is looking at years in jail and not just a few months. They will not go so lightly upon him this time. I shook my head with worry and disgust as I saw him drive by and wave. He knew not to stop and talk to me as I would be very pissed off and angry with him.

It was a morning for seeing the gang as I also saw Droopy as well. He once again hit me up for some money, but this time I refused. He always says he is hungry, but he and I both know that is bullshit. He will buy himself a bottle of cheap wine and go nurse it up at the shopping center hanging out with the almost mute Cap w/ Tag Guy. I cannot afford to support someone else’s addictions let alone my own. I did tell Droopy about seeing George driving though. We all love to gossip about each other.

“That dumb son of a bitch sho be askin’ for it,” He replied.

“I know and I am mad as hell at him,” I told him. “He is going to get in trouble again.”

“Ole George doesn’t want to sit at home with dat elderly mother of his,” Droopy said. “He be a man of the town.”

“Well, he can fucking walk like the rest of us. He is just being lazy taking such chances. You can walk across the whole damn town in a matter of hours,” I replied as I scoffed. “Nothing is so important as to risk going back to jail for years.”

Droopy once again pleaded with me for a few dollars changing the subject.

“Man, you would be doin’ a brotha a big favor lettin’ him have just three dollars like the other day,” Droopy said.

I never carry much money in my wallet and keep most of it at home. The only thing in my wallet today was a $20 dollar bill. I pulled out my wallet, opened it, and showed what I had to Droopy.

“See?” I said tersely. “I only have a twenty dollar bill and I sure as shit know you don’t have change.”

Droopy looked dejected, settled for a spare cigarette, and walked off with a slump in his shoulders at a depressed gait. I wish I was rich and I and the gang would just stay perpetually drunk along with lots of cigarettes, cigars, and food. Everyday would be one hell of a party. Reality is that I sometimes have trouble paying my utilities let alone buying drinks and smokes for everyone.

4 comments:

scotscribe said...

You have a great blog. Do you have an interest in being paid to write? If so we can send a good amount of work your way. Contact me at scotsd50@yahoo.com if you want more details.

Best,
Derek.

wilderness Artist said...

Andrew said, "I sometimes have trouble paying my utilities let alone buying drinks and smokes for everyone."

You have a good heart, and people with good hearts are frequently taken advantage of. Giving is a good thing. Giving so much you cannot function is not taking care of yourself.

Taking care of yourself is just good sense, not being selfish.

You are finding a balance, and that is good!

M said...

my brother has a friend who borrows money from him....the friend spends it on lottery tickets and booze so my brother refuses to give him the money. he asks his friend to pay it back which he always does eventually.

the drinking is getting bad. he fell and broke his shoulder recently while drunk.(my brother's friend, that is...my brother smokes a lot of cigarettes but as far as I know doesn't drink too much.)

anyway, the thing about drinking too much: after it stops being fun, it becomes dangerously unhealthy.

abbagirl74 said...

I once had a friend who broke her ankle by just stepping off of a step that she didn't realize was there because she was so hammered.

George is definitely playing with fire. Just make sure you never get in the car with him.