Friday, November 10, 2006

And the Day Winds Down…

It was just a gorgeous day today with temperatures in the low eighties. I opened all my windows and enjoyed one last gasp of summer weather. The leaves on the trees are just now at their peak of color. Soon, raking the yard and blowing my driveway clear of leaves will become an obsession and a pastime. I have learned to do a little bit every week so as not have one hellacious chore come December.

Helen cooked supper tonight. She fixed my requested meat loaf, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and substituted biscuits for the yeast rolls. She also made a side of fruit salad. I and mom sat at their kitchen table in the waning light of late afternoon as we ate.

“Can’t she cook so well?” Mom said as she brought her fork up to her mouth.

“Yes, she is a wonderful cook,” I replied with my mouth full of mashed potatoes and meat loaf. “You used to could cook just as good though.”

“Your father told me the other night that him and your brother and sister would put what I cooked down the garbage disposal when I wasn’t looking. You had already gone off to college.”

“That’s a bunch of bullshit and dad is just being mean,” I replied, my anger roused.

“Do you really think I was a good cook?”

“You could cook some of the best country southern style cooking I have ever eaten.”

“Your father will get so mad at me even if I just stand next to the stove now,” Mom replied with a wistful look upon her face thinking about her cooking days.

“Anytime you want to cook, call me, and we will do it together,” I said. “Dad won’t say a word if I am helping you and am over here.”

I and mom finished our meal and then I hung around for a bit to give her some company. We put up the leftovers in the fridge and then washed all the dishes from supper. Helen’s son had arrived to pick her up and she carried out the trash as she told us all goodbye. I made sure to brag heartily on the wonderful meal she had prepared. She beamed with pride.

I finally walked on home to the shining beam of my flashlight after dark fall. I had left my lights on in my den and Maggie was propped up on my window ledge looking out into the darkness. She sensed me walking through the yard and started to wiggle her butt and wag her tail furiously. One thing about a dog is they are always glad to see you come home. They are truly man’s best friend.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I love your posts about you and your mother the best out of all your writings. You make these situations come alive with words. I felt as if I was sitting in the kitchen with you and her tonight eating along as well. Blessings and thanks for the email taody. You made me smile just when I needed it.

abbagirl74 said...

Dinner sounded delicious. Cooking with your mom does sound like fun. I am glad that you were able to spend some quality time with her. Have a good evening, my friend.

LeNightowl said...

I always praise my mother's cooking profusely, as most of the time her wonderful cooking is just taken for granted :)
I can see she enjoys my compliments, and it's the least I can do to thank her (I'm a non-cook... so much for French cuisine! LOL)
I'm struck by your considerate behaviour to people. You really are a kind heart.
Marie

Holly said...

I dont suppose you could post some of Helen's recipes? :) :)

Dang, its morning for me now but I could sure eat a plate of her yummy food!