Friday, November 24, 2006

Now, this is Interesting…

My family can be known for being aloof sometimes. What happened yesterday takes the cake though. This was the story my father just told as I and him drove down to Fat Albert’s to buy a few things.

Dad had pulled into a gas station to get some gas in Columbus, Georgia. Along for the ride was my 89 year old great aunt and my mother was sitting in the back of Dad’s Honda.

“You sure you don’t have to go to the bathroom?” Dad said he had asked Mom.

“No,” My mother replied blithely drinking her diet Coke.

It is well known within the family that when you go on an extended road trip with my mother, you urge her to use the bathroom at all possible locations of stopping.

Dad went on to start filling his car up with gasoline. He paid at the pump, got back in the car, and briskly drove off down highway 280.

They were halfway to Albany, Georgia when my great aunt nonchalantly said, “Johnny, Martha is not in the car.”

Dad turned around to look in the backseat and said, “Oh, shit! She must have gotten out to use that bathroom after all.”

They drove all the way back up to the gas station to find mom sitting inside eating an egg and cheese biscuit while drinking a diet Coke.

“I wondered what happened to you all,” Mom said as she smiled unaware that she had gotten left.

Only in my interesting and aloof family…

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

That was quite a story and I got a good laugh thinking of your mom quietly enjoying her breakfast. Was your Dad able to laugh?

I'm so glad you got to talk to your doctor and that you spent some good time with Carolyn. What a difference a day makes, huh?

I'm in to change shoes and then off to a friend's. I'll check with you later.

Anonymous said...

"CLASSIC" Thanks for the chuckle...have a great weekend.
Craig

di said...

omg that's hilarious!! Makes your mother even more endearing :)