Sunday, November 26, 2006

Appalachian Trail could be 'canary in coal mine'

MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (AP) -- The Appalachian Trail gives hikers a nearly 2,200-mile trek through mountains, meadows and forests stretching from Georgia to Maine.

But to scientists and land managers, it's also a living laboratory that could provide warnings of looming environmental problems while there's still time to fix them.

A diverse group of organizations has launched a project to begin long-term monitoring of the trail's environmental health, with plans to tap into an army of volunteer "citizen scientists" and their professional counterparts.

Together, they will collect information about the health of plants, air and water quality, and animal migration patterns to build an early warning system for the 120 million people along the Eastern Seaboard.

"It's somewhat like the canary in the coal mine in the sense of using it as a barometer for environmental and human health conditions," says Gregory Miller, president of the Maryland-based American Hiking Society.


Read the whole story here from CNN news.

21 comments:

Kristen said...

A very interesting article! Thanks for posting it. Living lightly on the earth is a topic dear to my heart.

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

Hi There!

I haven't been able to read for a few days. I went on a short road trip. I'll email you about it when I have the time, (you'll love the details).
I had some free moments to myself (about to go to bed now) to get caught up with your entries tonight and just wanted to say Hi and I hope you're doing well. You've had some ups and downs since I read last. I hope today is an up day for you. :o)

Thinking of you,
Liz

PipeTobacco said...

Andrew:

I hope that you are ok, sir. It is aytpical for you to not write (It is shortly after midnight on Tuesday).

Your friend,

PipeTobacco

Jones said...

hope you're ok Andrew. I keep checking to see if you've posted. take care my friend.

Summer said...

Add me to the list. Is everything ok?

SKQBDOO said...

Where are you? Hope you are ok.

Sue said...

Same here, also add me to the list of people that care about you and are worried. I hope everything is ok.
Sue

Cheryl said...

When we don't hear from you, it's usually because you've gone camping. I hope that's what you've been doing. I know you've had great weather. Waiting to hear from you...

m said...

I read that article online too. I thought of you when I read it!
Thanks for sharing.

It is really sad what we humans are doing to the environment.

We all need to live more lightly on the earth, myself included.

Kristen said...

We are all sending thoughts of well wishes, Andrew. Hang in there, whatever it is that is keeping you from your computer.

....Or maybe it IS the computer. They do get ornery sometimes.

Thinking of you and your family and Carolyn, that all is well.

zirelda said...

Me too.

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

Add me to the concerned/worried/hoping he's gone camping list.

greglo said...

With you, with thoughts and heart!

Laurent

SimplyTim said...

Hey Andrew,

Enough with your college studies already.

Balance, balance, write, write.

I need at least a little jolt with my morning cup a joe tomorrow morning.

austere said...

hullo?

abbagirl74 said...

Okay slick. As you can read, you have a HUGE fan base. This should boost the ego a bit. I know that you are just needing some down time away from others or perhaps you are having the time of your life on "the trail". Either way, as soon as you get back, shoot me a message so I can call and bother you for not letting me know where you disappeared to. Drama, suspense, what's a girl to do? Bug you to death, of course. Love ya!!

Le Nightowl said...

Jonathon, come back to us, please, we miss you :)
Marie

latibug said...

Where oh Where oh Where is Andrew...

Where oh Where oh Where is Andrew...

Where oh Where oh Where is Andrew...

Where could Andrew be?

Get your tushy back here!!!!!!

Vans said...

Andrew...Where are you? You've got us all worried about you! Hope things are okay!

Holly said...

This is just terrible... I hope he is ok. Im concerned and miss him.

abbagirl74 said...

Everything is good to go people. :) Trust me.