Thursday, November 02, 2006

Patter goes the Rain…

I pitched my tent in the backyard before dark fall yesterday. A large swath of rain was set to move in yesterday evening and I wanted to experience its full glory. Around 9:30 PM, I grew very sleepy and walked down to the back of the yard to crawl into my sleeping bag and read as the radar said the rain would be here any moment. I lit my candle lantern and pulled out Tolstoy’s large tome of War and Peace. I am trying to slog my way through this novel, but find it very hard to concentrate to read these days and it is aggravating. I also picked a very weighty novel as well so it is no surprise. If I quit taking my medications for a few days other than the Risperdal, I can read better, but my symptoms also start to skyrocket like anxiety, paranoia, and panic attacks. I have tried that dangerous little experiment before and the benefits just didn’t outweigh the gains.

I had fallen asleep while reading and my almost spent candle lantern had burned down and snuffed itself out during the night. I awoke around 1 AM again to pattering rain upon the fabric of my tent and it was so comforting. I fumbled in my backpack for another candle, lit it, unzipped my tent door, and sat crossed legged at the threshold smoking cigarettes while sheets of rain were illuminated by the eerie, muted glow of my lantern beyond the door of my tent. Times like these are so comforting and soothing to my soul. I could imagine myself upon the trail on a cold and rainy night in the Appalachians waiting for the bad weather to pass to start another day of hiking.

I could no longer sleep so I ran to the house amidst a heavy rain to start some coffee. A cold front had blown through overnight and it had grown very, very chilly. I had walked out to sleep in only my boxer shorts and a t-shirt greeted by a very warm evening. The temperature had changed drastically in only a few short hours. I lit my gas heater inside and stood in front of it for the longest time trying to warm myself in front of its wonderful orange incandescent glow.

I then plopped myself down in front of this computer and read about menopause for the longest time for Carolyn. I am worried about her.

“It seems I have a lot of the symptoms of menopause myself like night sweats,” I chuckled to myself as I read, “And I am not even a woman.”

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine being a young man and dating a woman dealing with such issues. She does exhibit all the classical symptoms. I was ignorant of the change of life for a woman until lately.

Carolyn finally made it back into work, but her supervisor was much outdone with her for being out so long. We were talking on the phone last night about it. She was worried.

“She told me I almost lost my job,” Carolyn said sadly.

“Your health is more important than some stupid job down at Wal-Mart,” I replied. “I wish you would quit and go back to work at Fat Albert’s.”

“That extra $270 dollars a month helps so much though,” Carolyn replied. “That pays all my utilities.”

“How do you feel tonight? You have worried the shit out of me,” I told her.

“I still feel blah,” She replied. “And I still haven’t gotten my period and it is way overdue.”

We talked for quite awhile longer until she became too tired to continue on. Carolyn was ready for bed and had to be into work early this morning. We told each other we loved each other and said goodnight. I guess I am just blessed to have a caring female soul that loves me and is willing to put up with my mental illness and aggravating (for a woman) eccentricities. Most attractive women would not even entertain dating a mentally ill guy with “issues” and who didn’t have a steady job. She is a dear soul to put up with me and love me so much.

15 comments:

Summer said...

You did say one time that Carolyn had had a tubal ligation. Right????

Andrew said...

Summer,

Yeah, she has had her tubes tied. I thought the same thing myself though when she told me she was late with her period: pregnancy.

latibug said...

I think that all men have liittle things that drive women crazy. I know my husband sure does.

Blessings,
Lisa

Spiritual Recovery said...

If I quit taking my medications for a few days other than the Risperdal, I can read better, but my symptoms also start to skyrocket like anxiety, paranoia, and panic attacks. I have tried that dangerous little experiment before and the benefits just didn’t outweigh the gains.

Most of the individuals I've encountered with any form of "mental illness" don't like being on the drugs they're on, even if they recognize them as being helpful. Most of them experiment with coming off them at some point. Some discover that they can't function well without them; others discover that they can get by with less, none at all, or perhaps a different medication.

Either way -- if you're going to play around with it, it's probably best to inform yourself fully. The following link can provide insight into why individuals go off their medication; what to expect when they do; and the best means of doing so.

- Making Sense of Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs

Whether or not an individual should be on medication is highly personal, of course. People are different and so is their biochemistry, metabolism, personal situation, coping styles, etc. The critical line seems to be, is it working? If it is, there's no reason to change it. If it isn't, there is. Often, it's a case of replacing the medication with something else. For example, anti-depressants can assist in reducing depression but so too can exercise; some drugs help reduce anxiety, but so can meditation, etc.

I am just blessed to have a caring female soul that loves me and is willing to put up with my mental illness and aggravating (for a woman) eccentricities. Most attractive women would not even entertain dating a mentally ill guy with “issues” and who didn’t have a steady job. She is a dear soul to put up with me and love me so much.

Some people are better able to see beyond labels to the person behind them. I can only presume that you have much to offer her as well.

Paula said...

I am just writing to say, Carolyn must be a very special woman. My Uncle (deceased) had schizoprenia for my whole life, and his ex-wife took herself and her daughters away from our family and him. It was very hard on my grandmother and then my aunt and mom taking care of him, making sure he was taking his medication.

When he passed away my Great Aunt told stories about before he was sick, it was surprising what he had accomplished before it was discovered. He was 67 when he passes away and I never really knew what he was feeling or how he perceived the outside world.

Thank you for showing me part of what he must of been feeling.

Andrew said...

Paula,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. That is very sad indeed about your Uncle. I am lucky that I and my psychiatrist have found a medicine regimen that affords me a somewhat active and meaningful life. I still struggle daily, but am able to cope with my symptoms on Risperdal Consta. I got my injection this morning, by the way. It lasts for two weeks. I was also notorious for not taking my medications as is many with this disease of the brain. That long lasting injection changed my life for the better and affords me a much better quality of life.

Andrew

Andrew said...

Spiritual Recovery,

Thanks for the thought provoking links and comments as well. I have enjoyed reading what you add to this blog. Mickey's blog was excellent and I have bookmarked it.

Andrew

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Did you get a new camera? What is the IV bottle image?

Andrew said...

Pipe,

No, they are just some older photos of my camping gear I had saved on my computer. I will be getting a camera for Christmas though most likely. That IV looking thing is my collapsible Platypus water bottle that usually resides in my backpack.

Summer said...

I cannot wait until you have a camera!

Spiritual Recovery said...

Mickey's blog was excellent and I have bookmarked it.

I stumbled across Mickey's Ripped blog (his first one) in the same manner I stumbled across yours. I was there to read his "Interviews with the Saviour" (a brand of humor that not everyone will enjoy) but the first post that really made me howl with laughter was one related to "Things not to say to your psychiatrist if you don't want to end up in a small room with a box of crayons". Schizophrenia, of course, is not necessarily funny business, but Mickey was making it so. Yet, I could hear the pain behind his words and knew that a very real human was writing them.

It was a few days before I realized he had a second blog -- disOrdered. It was there that he addressed the more painful and poignant side of his life. Where Mickey was a wise-cracking smart ass, Marek was a vulnerable poet. It's worth emphasizing that Mickey/Marek does not suffer with a "split personality" (a common misunderstanding as related to schizophrenia) -- those were simply different aspects of his personality: one part tough/one part tender.

Several months ago Mickey/Marek went through another break. In his case, it was very insightful, very revealing. A number of issues came to light that helped him understand why he is the way he is. His Underground blog was created in the aftermath of that experience and reflects the integration of those numerous aspects of his entire personality. Recovery has many faces and his is one of them.

Thanks for the thought provoking links and comments as well. I have enjoyed reading what you add to this blog.

You're most welcome. I didn't have a name for my own experience when I went through it. When I went searching for a name, I searched far and wide. One of the most surprising things I discovered was that different cultures and settings have different labels for the experience. They also have different recovery rates. For example, developing nations have substantially higher recovery rates (i.e. India has rates as high as 90%) whereas the recovery rate in the west is so low that the World Health Organization has concluded that those in the west -- where the most "high-tech" treatments are available -- are likely to never recover.

I found myself questioning why this was so. If "schizophrenia" was a global disorder (approximately .5 - 2% of the population is vulnerable) why wouldn't the recovery rates be consistent across the board? And if they weren't, why weren't they?

What I've discovered is that recovery isn't just about drugs, hospitals and psychiatry. It's about getting back up, again and again. It's about family, friends, self-identity, meaning, purpose, empathy, dignity, culture, endurance. Probably one of the most important things I've discovered is that people need hope; they need to believe that they can get well. In this culture, too often, we send the message that they never will.

Like you, I am someone who has gone through an acute schizophrenic break. Because I didn't know that's what it was called in this culture, I didn't go to the hospital. Because I didn't go to the hospital, I didn't receive any neuroleptic medication, formal therapy or psychiatric care. I have been working (full-time) for the past few years, my relationships are all stable, my cognitive abilities appear to be fine and I have still not received any form of medication, therapy, or psychiatric care. Unusual? Maybe. Lucky? Maybe. Whatever it is, I am one of the many faces of recovery.

Spiritual Recovery said...

Whoops! I'd meant to add this to my post above: My Personal Definition of Recovery

dropship zone1 said...

Nice blog, keep up the good work!

http://dropshipzone1.blogspot.com

grad007 said...

I also didn't know much about menopause until I read up about it after seeing your latest posts on Carolyn.

Btw, your tent looks cute!

yannis said...

I love nature