Friday, November 24, 2006

Not Measuring in Absolutes…

I hiked around an hour on my walk today. I have decided I will just walk until I get tired and not measure it in absolutes of 3, 6, or 9 miles like I normally do. I don’t want to turn this pleasurable task into something I dread. I usually just enjoy the art of hiking and taking in my surroundings. As a commenter had said “It’s the journey and not the destination.” As far as the Appalachian Trail goes, come what may this summer.

It was a gorgeous day today with highs in the seventies (twenties Celsius). I made my way down to the tracks to find them bereft of trains today. I guess engineers and bulls get the holidays off as well. The pulpwood yard was bustling with activity though. Many a log had already been loaded awaiting transport throughout the South to different paper mills. The guys that operate these gigantic lifting machines all know me by sight now and heartily wave as I pass upon the tracks. As I walked, I listened to the Rush Limbaugh Show and got a great number of laughs from the silly rhetoric he was spouting.

“I can’t believe people actually believe this shit,” I said to myself as I walked and smiled. It certainly was entertaining, but not in the way Mr. Limbaugh had envisioned no doubt.

I then made my way on through the shopping center by the Korean restaurant and the grocery store. Someone had dropped a dollar bill in the parking lot and I bent over to pick it up and put it in my pocket; one of the few times in my life I have found money in a public space like that. I guess the gods were smiling down upon me today. Cap w/ Tag Guy was standing out next to the grocery store leaning against the wall with a big grin on his face. He motioned for me to walk over so he could shake my hand.

“You had a good Thanksgiving?” I asked as I walked over.

He nodded his head briskly yes and grinned ever wider without saying a word. I then walked on home to find a message from Mom that supper was ready.

Helen went all out tonight and cooked a Thanksgiving feast. She fried a small turkey, made a pan of dressing, giblet gravy, some sweet corn casserole, potato salad, and a sweet potato pie. It was delicious and I made sure to thank her several times. She always beams with pride when you brag on her cooking.

Well, let me go settle down for the night and do what I normally do online. The sun is setting, the day is almost done, and what a much better day it has been; the bleak and dark past few days have almost been relegated to memory and seem like distant horrors best forgotten. Good day.

6 comments:

Leann said...

Andrew, it's nice to hear you had a pleasant day. I'm glad to hear you are taking the pressure off of yourself with the walking. It should be spent enjoying the fresh air and ambianse(sp), rather than stressing about how far you've gone.

Take care my friend
Leann

Summer said...

Sweet dreams.

Sue said...

I'm so jealous about the temperature you have ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sue

greglo said...

Hi Andrew,

glad to see you're well. Yes the "miles thing" has its interest but how nice it is to be able to just forget about it and enjoy these nice Kerouac-like walks.

It may be that just a portion of the Apalachian trail would bring much joy and not a sense of being stressed by the idea of having to do it all. It could be much more pleasurable this way.... then, choosing which part you'd like to do would be also a lot of fun in the long cold winter nights at home... then plan the next one, and the next one....

Enjoy your walks, and your writing... and Carolyn... and your family... and the gang... and your friends online... not to mention the great food you always talk about... now I would'nt mind to see pictures of such recipes when you cook them... and of the walks, and the trains.........

I don't always comment but I come several times a day to read. I love to see what you've written when I drink my first cup of coffee of the day. My days start with 4th Avenu blues, it's a great way to start them.

Take care,

Laurent

Count Byron said...

" what a much better day it has been; the bleak and dark past few days have almost been relegated to memory and seem like distant horrors best forgotten" .. beautiful description.. I love it to bits

austere said...

When you get your camera I want to see that track.