Monday, November 06, 2006

Predawn Dan…

I got to see Dumpster Diving Dan early this morning on my wakeup walk down to the shopping center for a can of soda. He was out and about starting his usual rounds as he is every morning. He says he must get to the dumpsters early while it is cool so the food will not have spoiled. Overripe fruit was the dumpster food du jour of the day. Dan was going to make preserves and jellies out of it.

“Go look in my truck,” Dan told me.

I walked over to Dan’s Toyota Tacoma pickup to look inside his driver’s side window. There was a very little short haired dog about the size of a Chihuahua sitting on the seat.

“He’s tiny,” I replied. “And so cute.”

“It’s a she and I have named her Half Pint,” He replied. “I found her abandoned in the dumpster behind the dollar store the other day.”

I opened Dan’s door, picked up the small dog, and cradled it in my arms. It was shivering fiercely. I tried to warm her.

“She’s freezing cold Dan,” I said worried.

“Yeah, I know. I won’t be long then we will warm up as I drive over to feed the seagulls at daybreak,” He replied.

“Look at this!!!” Dan then hollered out excitedly from within the dumpster illuminated by the harsh glow of the street light overhead. “A whole pallet of molded strawberries!”

How appetizing,” I thought to myself amused, but didn’t say it so as not to hurt Dan’s feelings.

“I will take out all the moldy ones and this will make wonderful preserves for the winter; enough to spread on my biscuits for months,” Dan said.

I then told Dan to drive by my house this afternoon to pick up this week’s bag of Chef Boyardee canned pasta and he said he would be by after his nap. My mother still buys it for me every Monday and I always just give it to him as I can’t eat that unhealthy and unappetizing stuff any longer. Dan loves it and is so appreciative to get it.

I left Dan to finish his diving and walked on around to the front of the shopping center. I bought my 30 cent can of soda and sat upon Big S’s old bench as I drank it shivering myself. Hot coffee would have been a better beverage choice and I headed on home to start a pot and begin another wonderful day of living my charmed life as it is these days. I really have been happy and felt well, for me, these past weeks. I keep worrying it is the calm before the proverbial mental health storm and the shit is going to hit the fan any day. Let’s enjoy it while it lasts.

5 comments:

abbagirl74 said...

What happened to the trip?

Wilderness Artist said...

OK, Andrew. Here is where the positive thinking comes in:

I keep worrying it is the calm before the proverbial mental health storm and the shit is going to hit the fan any day.

DON'T DO THIS!

Worry lowers all of your body systems so they have to work harder to keep you well. Every day that you do this "worry stuff", you lower your body's mental and physical strength. As soon as you know this to be a fact (and it is), you can start to worry about worrying.

Uh, what's that?

Well there is another way. Every time you start worrying, remind yourself to stop. Replace it with your own words and

begin another wonderful day of living my charmed life as it is these days. I really have been happy and felt well

If a negative thought comes to you, say "I un-create that", and watch it fade out of sight.

Then, putting your hands over your heart, say, "I love and respect myself."

Choose to be happy and well.

Be thankful.

It really works. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Sérgio Rodrigo said...

Beautiful! Your Blog é maravilhoso! Esteticamente lindo!

latibug said...

I have been out of town for a few days and have missed your blog. I'll get caught up, but wanted to let you know that I still love reading your stuff. It is going to be hard for me to not have your blog to read next summer when you take off on your hike through the mountains....;-(

Blessings,
Lisa

Summer said...

Hey my friend... Don't be like me an think that the storm is coming. Let's you and I try something different this time. Are you up for it?