Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Wee Bit of Phone Tag…

Mom and I have played phone tag all evening.  Mainly about my powdered drinks.  She is obsessing over that.  I made the biggest mistake of my life telling her I decided I didn’t like diet Sprite.  “It’s too bubbly and coy,” I said to her dismay quoting a line from a movie.  I disarmed the situation some by lying and telling mom I had some pink lemonade drink mix left. That it was too acidic for me, but I would drink it.  “But it will only last you two days!” was her reply.  Sigh.  Sometimes in life you just can’t win.  You’ve got to know when to lay down your cards and fold ‘em.  This was one of those times for me.  I sighed, told mom I would drive us to Wal-Mart tomorrow, and hung up the phone. 

Mrs. Florene called me fretting tonight about George’s court date Thursday. 

“My sister told me he may get a year in jail with all the DUIs he’s had,” Mrs. Florene said.

“Surely, he won’t get a year,” was my weak reply. 

George was in jail three or four months for his last DUI.  I didn’t have the heart to tell Mrs. Florene that her sister was probably right. 

I’ve felt mentally interesting on and off today.  Not terrible.  Just disconcerting.  I am so sensitive that any change in me mentally raises alarms.  I get scared.  I lived in mental hell for years and do not want to go back to living that way.  I’ve been trying to live healthier by cutting out the caffeine, cutting out all the sugar,  eating sensible, nutritious meals and not throwing them up, and I have cut way down on my smoking – almost in half.  Tomorrow, I plan on resuming my and Maggie’s walks.  My all or nothing persona wants to walk four miles thinking it will be healthier.  Moderation young grasshopper.  I am only going to walk a mile.  Maggie will be overjoyed just to get a walk period.

I hadn’t felt so guilty since I told dad I stole his watch as Maggie intently watched me eat my chicken fajitas tonight.  I was greedy and WANTED IT ALL!  It was Mexican Tuesday’s after all – a day that only comes once a week for me.  I finally gave in and gave Maggie several big strips of Mexican marinated chicken.  What did she do?  She carried them outside and buried them in the backyard.  The possums are going to eat well tonight. 

3 comments:

Hap Joy Free said...

glad to hear you're resuming the walks. I feel that will relieve a ton of anxiety, get you to feeling better and stay in shape. Not to mentione Maggie dear.

I also think one mile is best. Balance, young grasshopper, balance!

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Hi Sweetie! If too many bubbles bug ya, pour a glass and then stir it for a minute and try it - still too many? Stir it again - depending on your taste, it may take several stirs to make it work for ya.

Also, I've been known to add a little unsweetened Koolaid to Sprite as well (Cherry is good). Start with just a little and add as you go - it does not take much. Helps cut the over-sweet ick factor for me!

Hey - what was it you forgot at Walmart the other day? You can get whatever it was for the video camera when you go tomorrow!!

I hope Mrs. Florene doesn't get too upset about George. I'm sure that whatever happens will be just awful for her to have to deal with. I just hope it's not too bad. She's just too sweet to have to deal with all this.

Glad you shared with Maggie. But sorry that she went out and buried it all! Better for the possums to eat it now than for her to drag it back into the house!!

Once you get the camera up and running - how about pictures of how you re-arranged everything! Would love to see it all!

Have a good night - and enjoy your morning walk.

Love ya,
Grannie

Sharon said...

I'm sorry to hear about George, but unfortunately he brought it on himself. I hope he doesn't get a whole year in jail, but whatever time he does have to serve I hope he sobers up and stays that way for good. I know you'll be there for Ms. Florene as much as you can be with your own issues. She's lucky to have you as a friend.