Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mom is Wild…

“You’ve got to help me get your mother calmed down,” dad told me last night. “Keep telling her to slow down and go to bed.”

“I will,” I replied. “I’m worried about her.”

I had a busy day yesterday.  Mom and I went to Wal-Mart to get our stuff.  We got my new wireless router and an  S-video and RCA cord for my DVD player.  We forgot my USB card reader for my camera and my powdered drinks.  Wal-Mart is so inconvenient to shop there.  It is huge.  Mom has a hard time walking that far.  You can never find what you need without looking for fifteen minutes as well.  It is sensory overload for me and my social anxieties. 

“Don’t tell your father we went to Wal-Mart,” mom said on the drive home. “I’ve been two or three times everyday and your father says I am acting crazy and spending his money.”

Well, we got home.  I was tired and interested in hooking up my Wii to the internet with my new wireless router.  I wanted to “play”.   Mom called again.

“We forgot your powdered drinks!” mom said frantically.  “What are we going to do?  You won’t have anything to drink, but water.”

“I am not going back to Wal-Mart today,” I replied nicely. “I will just drink ice water.  I will be okay.”

Well, mom drove down to the pharmacy and got me a case of 2-liter diet Sprites.  The cases are huge and come in these big plastic racks.  Mom opened the trunk and showed me what she got and I just sighed.  It was nice of her to do that for me.  I will really enjoy all those Sprites, but she is doing too much.  Mom is like me and we can’t take a lot going on.  She was so worried that I was going to have to “do without”.   She can’t stand that.

“Let’s go back to Wal-Mart and get your camera gadget,” she then said getting in the car.

“We will do it after my eye doctor’s appointment Friday,” I replied.

Mom got this scrunched up look on her face.  She didn’t want to put off what we could do today.  She wanted to get it over with.

“Go take your nightly medications and go lay down,” I told her sternly.

“Okay,” mom said, sighing like a small berated child. 

I hope she went home and went to bed.  I didn’t hear from her again last night.  I kept expecting a call about my eye doctor’s appointment and whether I could make it or not.  Mom is bi-polar on top of being schizophrenic.  Her moods swing like a pendulum.  We are on a high right now and we are a very busy 64 year old woman. 

3 comments:

forsythia said...

Ai yi! This sounds SO familiar. On Sunday, our daughter was all wound up because she had to have just the right map for an assignment in a course she's taking. She maintained that she'd get fired if she couldn't find the right map. This made no sense, of course.

Anonymous said...

that reminds me so much of what i have had or witnessed a bipolar high. i am thankful i do not get the huge swings they are little. i will say a prayer for your mom to calm down and sleeps. liz

Leaking Moonlight said...

WalMart and supermarkets both give me sensory overload too. (I'm kind of glad I'm not alone.) There's too much to choose from and it can all look alike. I'll often reach for what I want, like a soup can, and come home with something completely different. I hate that.