Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eating Crow…

Well, mom got me an interesting mix of meals to eat this week.  I was just exuberant when I arrived home from the eye doctor to find a freezer and fridge full of  very interesting food.   The only exception was the frozen “fish sticks” meals she got me.  They were microwave meals and something about microwaves and fish sticks just didn’t sit well with me.  Microwaves and fish sticks just don’t jive.  Mom called me asking me how I liked what she got.

“The fish sticks meals certainly were interesting,” I said sarcastically.

“This is why I worry so much about buying your groceries,” mom replied in a huff.  “I never know what to get you.  I just want you to eat a varied diet and Dr. K said eating fish worked wonders for people with schizophrenia.”

Oh, God! I felt terrible for my sarcasm! I apologized profusely to mom – thanking her for buying my groceries every week.  Not too many 38 year old men are going to still have their mothers buying their groceries and to go to such trouble to make sure I get interesting and varied food to eat.

Well, I just popped one of those microwave fish stick meals in the microwave.  I let it cool down some afterwards.  It smelled wonderful.  There was a side of seasoned rice and broccoli with a cheddar sauce.   I ate one fish stick and smiled.  They tasted wonderful – not soggy as I had expected at all.  It tasted kind of like the fried fish fillets you get at Captain D’s.

“Mom, the fish stick meals were wonderful,” I said a moment ago calling her back on the phone.  “I was so wrong. They tasted like Captain D’s fish fillets.”

“Really?” mom said, sounding excited. “I am going now to go buy you some more!”

“WAIT!” I exclaimed, laughing. “You’ve done enough today.  I’ve got three more left and that will last me for the week.”

LOL!  Leave it up to my mother to try and buy me ten of a good thing.  It just all plays into that obsessive compulsive mantra that so controls my and mom’s lives. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get so tickled with the stories of your mother. She is precious and seems to enjoy being able to "take care of you". She makes my day. Jet XXXOOO

Joy Heather said...

Bless your Mom Andrew..she is a sweetheart...Joy.