Saturday, April 17, 2010

You Just Gotta Sigh and Laugh Sometimes…

I just got a nasty virus on my computer. Nasty! I have a Streamlink subscription my sister gave me for Christmas with Coast to Coast AM so I can listen to last night’s 1am to 5am show the next day.  Sometimes, I am impatient and go to bit torrent as the show is available faster there than it can sometimes be downloaded through the own company’s website.  That’s what I did this afternoon and got a nasty virus.  It was in the guise of a virus scanning program and it was “trying to help me get rid of all the viruses on my computer”.   I knew something was bad wrong when I saw the Java prompt pop up which is notorious for security holes and then my browser would redirect after a few seconds to the virus scan website.  I couldn’t even browse the web.  BASTARDS! LOL

The average computer user would have been stumped.  They would have clicked on the links the program was displaying to “remove the viruses on your computer” exacerbating the problem and installing more viruses, malware, and spyware.  It also wanted a credit card number for an even better version of their virus scan software. Yeah right.

BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER!  I can’t express that deeply enough.  Luckily, I had a backup I made yesterday.  I popped in the repair disc, rebooted my computer, and installed the backup in just a few minutes and didn’t have to reinstall Vista.  Windows Vista and 7, and probably XP allows you to set up regular backups on a schedule.  My computer backs up automatically every Saturday morning to my big 2 Terabyte D:Storage drive.  

2 comments:

mago said...

Cool new outfit, and loads faster than before.
I have acronis for the restore. :)

mxtodis123 said...

Oh gosh, I know that virus. That one caught my computer at work. It comes on so fast. I recently had a real bad problem on my home computer...picked up the Google Redirect. I couldn't get into anything. I have Norton, but Norton let it just slip on through. So my son installed Hitman 3.5. Got rid of the virus immediately and I love that it scans as soon as the computer comes on.
Mary