Saturday, April 17, 2010

Carbonite – Is it Worth Your Time?

I listen to a lot of Leo Leporte and his computer related radio show, The Tech Guy.  I am so excited it’s the weekend and I get two new shows today and tomorrow.   I discovered his podcasts of his free archived shows through iTunes lately and have had the best time sitting on the porch in the warm afternoon breezes and listening to them with my iPod.  Carbonite is one of his main sponsors.  They are an offsite backup service for your computer to store all your files and data in a safe central location. 

Well, I reinstall Windows a lot and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve lost photos, videos, or music from forgetting to back them up when I format my hard drive every few weeks.   Carbonite touts on Leo’s show that you get unlimited space and free service for two weeks to try them out.  No credit card needed.  There was a catch, though.  It only backed up the My Documents folder which I only had 400megs of data in, and you could only back up music, videos, and photos unless you whipped out your credit card and started the $5 dollar a month service.  I was so disappointed.  Their advertising was very misleading it seemed to me after I had gone through the lengthy install and signup process.  I mainly wanted to get my 300 plus Gigabytes of music backed up.  I don’t think I could bare (bear?) to go through the whole process of ripping my music library from CDs again which took me about a week of putting countless CDs in my computer’s Blu Ray drive and ripping them.

I guess I am going to have to get dad today to use his credit card and sign me up for the one year unlimited storage $54.95 service.   Dad is going to be very, very wary of using his credit card online.  He still doesn’t trust the Internet for such things.  I will have to sweet talk him and reassure him it is safe. 

5 comments:

Joy Heather said...

I REALLY hope it is safe Andrew..there have been countless scams recently over here..all involving Mobile phones /Internet etc..my friend was scammed only last week and lost all her phone credit... then when she topped up again they took that as well...she has had to get a new Sim Card..Its SO annoying, they really are getting cleverer..i always buy from the Net...but think twice at the moment, with what is going on.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Okay, I will risk showing just how little I know about these innertubes we use daily - why not just get one of those usb 'sticks' and backup every day? That's what I've been doing. I also have an external hard drive that I have some important (but rarely used) info stored on.

Am I doing it wrong?

Grannie - the computer dummy

Peg said...

Andrew,

Love love love Carbonite. We have it on our machines and it's saves us countless times. You can get a jump drive, but jump drives can fail, get lost or use up their capacity in a hurry.

Shoot me an email if you want more info. (You can find me through Facebook :) )

Leaking Moonlight said...

Please keep posting about your Carbonite. It's something I've been seriously considering and I don't know a thing about it. Thanks Andrew!

Tokyo Biker Mommy said...

I have a huge external drive that i use to back up all my data. I prefer to do it that way rather than paying a middle-man to manage my baggage. :)