Friday, April 30, 2010

Midday Report…

Those Dastardly Telemarketers…

“You’ve got to help me with these telemarketers,” mom just said a moment ago on the phone. “I can’t sleep for the phone ringing.  I’ve gotten where I don’t even answer the phone.”

“I’ll put you on the National Do Not Call Registry,” I replied. “I can do it over the internet.”

“Really?” mom asked excitedly. “It is that easy?”

“It will take me two minutes tops to do it, but it may take a few days to go through.”

You could hear mom sigh with relief.  “They are driving me crazy!”

“Oh mom,” I then said. “Put some super glue in your car for when you bring Helen’s meal.”

“What for?”

“I think I can fix my subwoofer. That will save $250 dollars.”

Mom told me to hold on a second as she rummaged through her bedside drawer for super glue.  I had already told her about it being broken earlier and she said she doubted dad would buy me another one.  Necessity is the mother of all invention as they say.  Mom told me she had some and was going then to put it in the car so she wouldn’t forget it.

I can’t wait for Helen’s meal.  We are having meatloaf (my favorite), English peas, creamed potatoes, and biscuits.  Helen is also cooking a lemon meringue pie. 

“Oh,” mom said before I hung up. “Come over this afternoon and watch Oprah with me.”

I smiled, but I don’t like Oprah.  I will be there anyway just to spend some time with mom.  We will talk more than we will watch the TV. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dinner sounds really really good. i am glad that you can put your mom on the do not call list. it is such a pain when they call.i am on the do not call list but sure remember what it was like before i was on the list. i hope that you and your mom had a good day. my mouth watered reading what helen was fixing. liz

Summer said...

I want to move into the house next door so Helen can add me to her Friday dinner list! Your mom is so great, she loves you so much!

LM said...

You're a good son, Andrew.

Anonymous said...

Telemarketers have to update their lists every 3 months. It might take a while for your mom to stop getting those calls. Unless they've changed it since the list started, that's the way it works.