Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Frugal and Complicated Mother…

“I called Social Security yesterday,” mom told me last night. “And they said Medicare would cover one pair of glasses and one eye exam per year.”

“Good,” I replied. “That will save us around $200 dollars.”

“Well, I got worried they said Medicaid and not Medicare,” mom then told me. “I got confused.”

I smiled. It always gets complicated with my mother.  Dad then got the phone from my mother to talk to me.

“Your mother is cheap with her money, but loves to spend mine,” dad said laughing.  “She is obsessing about getting Medicare to pay for your glasses.  She doesn’t want to pay for them now.  She has asked me a thousand questions tonight.”

I laughed and smiled.  I love mom so much quirks and all.  I told dad that where there is a will, there is a way with mom.  She is one of the more determined women I have ever encountered in my life mental illness and all. 

“Martha, I am just going to pay for his glasses,” I could hear dad tell mom. “We are not going to get in a tizzy over all this. $200 dollars is not that much money.”

Dad told me good night and told mom to calm down and to go take her medicines.  It was good to know that Medicare would possibly pay if something ever happened to mom and dad and I lost my glasses or contacts.  I smiled for a good fifteen minutes after getting off the phone.  My parents always have something interesting going on and mom usually instigates it. 

No comments: