Friday, May 12, 2017

Operation: Quest, Quench, Thirst...

"Jesus, I am thirsty," I said blaspheming aloud as I drove by the police station headed to my parent's house.

A Policeman got behind me but suddenly turned off a side street as I was not his quarry today. I buckled up just in case which I should have done before I left home.

Dad was fertilizing the backyard when I pulled into the back driveway of his garish abode. I had called him earlier on a mission of mercy. I was drinking up all my milk I eat my cereal with as I had only bland water left as my only alternative. I was out of my usual diet Cokes.

"Can I get something cold, delicious and refreshing to drink?" I asked my father. "I am parched."

Dad keeps my medications in his car so there was much rummaging around the back of his Honda before he found them. I think I heard a few profane words as well.

"Come on and we will take your medications as well," he said as I followed him up the back steps to the deck. .

It was music to my ears on this late Friday afternoon. One word: Clarity.

We took my medications early as my father loaded me up on various drinks.

"Will you drink your mother's tutti frutti drinks?" my father asked. "I can't drink them. They give me heartburn something terrible."

So, I got a two six packs of tutti frutti, a liter of diet Coke, a six pack of diet Coke in the cans, and another cold diet Coke to drink on the drive home. Extra gracious miles and beyond.

No comments: