Saturday, October 06, 2018

As the Field Goes…

“You sure you don’t want to come over and watch the Auburn game with me?” my father asked me this afternoon.

I don’t have a subscription to ESPN or the SEC network with my basic, basic cable.

“I am just going to stay home with Maggie,” I replied. “I can keep up with the game on the ESPN scoreboard with my computer.”

I didn’t think my nerves could take how loud my father will turn up the volume on the television.

“Oh, come on!” Old Fuss and Feathers protested.

I went and lasted 15 or 20 minutes. Old Fuss and Feathers was drinking wine and I began to scheme on how I could get some, too! lol  That, and my constant need for a cigarette break would get on his nerves for sure.

I had it all planned out. I had a corkscrew in my pocket and I would feign sugary soda from the downstairs basement fridge. There are quite a few bottles of wine in that fridge. I would uncork a bottle of wine and guzzle it down and then bury the bottle in the trash or throw the empty bottle into the dirt, dimly lit, and seldom visited portion of the basement. It’s devious I know, but that’s just how some alcoholics think. So, I headed on home with my tail between my legs, defeated and out of harm’s way. Man, I wanted a drink tonight something fierce.

1 comment:

glittermom said...

Your father should know better.