Saturday, October 20, 2018

The Irish Pub Downtown Was Not Such a Good Idea…

File this in the “DUH!” department.

Old Fuss and Feathers called me at noon and asked me if I wanted to go to the pub just downtown to watch the Auburn game.

“Sure,” I said, happy to be included. “Let me take a shower and put on some decent clothes.”

I drove over to my father’s house and we headed just down the road to the pub. The bartender asked me what I wanted and I almost said Guinness out of a long deep seated habit. They had Guinness on tap.

“A large Coca-Cola will suit me just fine,” I replied after a hesitation.

“Driving, eh?” he said with a smile as he wiped clean the counter in front of me and put down a drink coaster. .

Dad ordered a large white wine promising me that was all he was going to have.

Being around all those drinking people was not such a good idea for me. The bar was also loud and boisterous. I told dad I was just going to walk back to his house and drive home. The walk only took 20 minutes.

“I am so sorry, son,” he replied. “I just wasn’t thinking.”

“We both weren’t thinking,” I told him as I said goodbye. “I should know better than any.”

Well, Auburn won big. An SEC game on the road. I know he is still down there celebrating with all the other revelers. Let’s pray he walks home and doesn’t drive. We can get his car in the morning.

1 comment:

Summer said...

That was a really, really bad idea. But you know that. I'm so surprised and a little annoyed with your father for such an invitation. I hope you're feeling better this morning. I suffer from SAD too, know that you're not alone.