Thursday, October 25, 2018

As Snug as a Bug in a Rug…

165918001Mrs. Barbara called me at 7am this morning. I moaned as my cellphone rang on my bedside table. My bed was feeling like heaven. I looked to see who was calling and already knew what to expect.

“Tracy and I are going to be really late,” she said. “Could you go ahead and open the gate and get everything up and running?”

I didn’t have to be there until nine my time which was to my favor.

“Sure,” I sleepily replied as I wiped the sleep out of my eyes. “I just have to be at my father’s house at eleven.”

I set the alarm on my phone and slept another hour.

This was supposed to be my day off, but when a friend needs a hand, you have to lend it. Mrs. Barbara has been so nice, kind, and accommodating to me and my foibles.

I didn’t even take a shower. I just threw some clothes and a ballcap on and headed out the door. It is about a thirty minute drive for me. I unlocked the gate and opened it. Then I unlocked the building and turned all the lights on. The dogs were barking like crazy and I could hear a few meows as well. Everybody was glad we were back in business. I had to go in and greet all my canine friends and check on them. We are about at half capacity at the moment. I also checked Little Man’s long line of stiches for any signs of infection.

Mrs. Barbara showed up at 10am and Tracy was not far behind her. Tracy gave me a high five of comradery when she walked in the door.

“Have you had any visitors yet?” was the first thing Mrs. Barbara asked me when she walked in the door.

We had only been open for an hour.

“It has been quiet as a church mouse on that front,” I replied regretfully.

“Well, I am leaving it with y’all,” I told the duo. “I am going to head back to dad’s house.”

“Thank you so much, Andrew!” Mrs. Barbara told me. “It will not be forgotten.”

I told her, “Anytime!” with a warm smile and walked out the door. I had a date with Old Fuss and Feathers that would entail Cokes and conversation. Time for us to be together.

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

If you discount the "crazy meds" and a shot in the butt, you sir (as Pipe Tobacco would say) as living a quasi-normal life!! You work, you spend time with family and you ARE seeing your nieces/nephews more; very good!

One thing, we the "crazies" look at a situation as to how freaked out is it going to make us. What we need to do is get out of ourselves. Your little Niecy/Nefs probably bug everyone crazy with "When's Uncle Andrew going to get here??" And for them to hear, "Well, he's not coming (for whatever reason)." In their little minds, they start to think they did something wrong and you just don't like/love them anymore.

I say this, cuz it happened to me. I got anxious at a 4th of July family thing (Bill's family, I have only known them about 5 years as you know.) and so of half assedly hugged my Addie Boo (5 yrs), my head not into it, when later I realized it was the first time she called me "Aunt". And I remembered that, 2 years later when she called me and asked why I didn't come by anymore, had she or her brother done anything wrong? Since your dad is sensitive to your anxiety, I am sure if you said you wanted to see the kids and why; he would help with any meds needed at the time.

So bottom line: You are doing all the right things!