Friday, October 26, 2018

Power Outage = Suckage…

broken televisionsI was just finishing cleaning my last kennel with great satisfaction when Old Fuss and Feathers called me on the phone about noon.

“I need you!” he said frantically. “My power was out all night and now my television won’t come on. It gets stuck on the opening logo.”

“Unplug it for 20 minutes, then plug it back in,” I told my father to try. “I am about to get off and I will head that way.”

“My speakers on my computer quit working as well,” he added on top of the things I must fix.

“I can take care of that, too,” I replied. “I will see you in about an hour.”

I could just imagine my father crawling up the walls without his television to view. He is a true television addict.

I finally made it to my father’s house. He had resorted to listening to the radio on the little clock radio in the den. The din of National Public Radio was droning along in the background.

I unplugged the TV and sat down to wait 20 minutes giving the capacitors time to discharge. Dad and I both drank us a couple of ice cold diet Cokes and they were delicious – most satisfying Cokes I have ever had the pleasure to imbibe. The time had come for me to plug the TV back in and I waited another 5 minutes after that to hit the power button. My summation was that the capacitors would recharge and the television would come back on. I pressed the power button and the big 55 inch TV fired to life and cycled through the logo displaying CNN.

“Thank you so much, son,” dad said, fawning all over me. “You’re a genius with this kind of stuff. I was about to go crazy without my television.”

I then checked dad’s computer speakers and they had just somehow come unplugged. Most likely the cat was behind the computer desk and became entangled was my guess. I plugged them back into an audio port and we were back in business.

No comments: