Saturday, October 27, 2018

Living in a Third World Municipality…

power transformerThat’s the way dad likes to joke about it – that we are living in a third world city our power goes out so often. It reeks havoc on all our electronics. All my computers whirred to life about 6am this morning. I got in all their bios and set them to stay off after a power outage.

Well, my power went out last night right before midnight. The night before it was my father’s. I was just about to go to bed. The transformer at the end of the street just basically exploded. I heard a loud boom as the lights blinked out and I walked out into the yard with a flashlight. The transformer was putting on quite a show as it was arching and sparks were flying everywhere. Soon, several of my neighbors emerged from inside their homes to see what was going on as well.

I have electric/gas heat and luckily and also thankfully Charlie had well insulated all the walls of this house before I moved in. I woke this morning to the power being returned and the thermostat had only dipped down to 68° degrees – comfortable sleeping temperatures under a warm comforter. That heat sure felt good as I set it on 75° degrees and the house warmed back up, though.

No comments: