Sunday, October 07, 2018

Creatures of the Night…

Charlie woke me up at 8am with breakfast this morning. I never know when he will get here. I was abruptly woken by a loud knock on the door and I sleepily opened the front door in my underwear and a t-shirt as Charlie handed me the goods. Maggie was going strong, though – so glad to see him. She was proud to get her sausage biscuit.

“Horsefly was ready for bed and I had to hurry,” Charlie told me.

Horsefly sleeps in the day and doesn’t venture forth until after nightfall. 

“Enjoy your biscuits,” Charlie said and he was gone in a flash.

I bet Charlie didn’t dare wake my father that early. I just arrived home from my father’s house and noticed he had fixed a strong pot of coffee – the house smelling wonderfully of roasted coffee beans. Boy, was he surly this morning. Auburn lost really badly last night – got the pants beat off of them by an unranked Mississippi State.

“We just won’t talk about it,” he told me when I sat down in the den meaning the Auburn game. 

“Looks like we may be getting a hurricane,” dad then said changing the subject.

“Today will be the last 90° degree day and then the daily temperatures fall progressively,” I told him. “I do think fall is on the way.”

Old Fuss and Feathers still rations out my cigarettes to me. I had to ask for an extra pack this morning as I had gotten behind. I normally only smoke one pack a day. He didn’t balk which I feared.

“I might smoke me a few today, too!” he jokingly told me and I laughed.

Cigarettes are prohibitively expensive these days and my father never complains about the cost. He’s good to me about that vice.

2 comments:

glittermom said...

Good thing you didn’t stay to watch the game. That would have been very unpleasant.

Anonymous said...

I read on the web that 98% of all schizophrenics smoke. Now, that is saying something. It must be the nicotine and its effects on the brain. I hope this finds you well, Andrew.

Your friend,

Jennifer ❤❤❤