Thursday, October 11, 2018

I Can’t Go For That–No Can Do!

Let me preface this by saying I have a soft heart for people in need after all I have been through in my life. Tuleana called me tonight and wanted me to take them out for pizza and Pepsi this weekend as a treat. Richard lost another job again and they are living on her disability allotment.

“I'll think about it,” is what I told her and we got off the phone.

Fore mostly, I wouldn’t have the gall to impose on a friend in such a way.

“There is a reason they don’t have a car,” my father’s omnipresent words echoed in my mind.

Then I got really paranoid and thought they were going to kill me for my car. I know it’s irrational, but it is just the way schizophrenic people think at times. I am just getting bad vibes from them.

I called my father and asked him for his advice and told him of my paranoia.

“You start that up again and they are going to take you to the bank and you are too softhearted to say no,” my father replied. “You don’t have the money to be treating them to pizza and soda.”

Dad talked about 20 minutes about what I should and shouldn’t do. He was right for the most part.

“Do you want to give up your monthly $100 in computer money?” he asked. “You would have to cease that to treat them like they want you to treat them.”

I replied no.

“Think with your head and not your heart on this venture,” he then said and we got off the phone.

4 comments:

Rita said...

People have worked me over the years, wanting me to give them money and to take care of them, while they are not prudent with their own money. I have to stay away from people like that. I never ask people for money, but there are others who think nothing of it. Surely there are food banks and churches where they can go and get some food or a meal here and there to eat. I live in Denver, CO and you can get a free meal, 3 times a day, 7 days a week here. That does not stop many people from standing on the street corners with signs asking for money.

glittermom said...

Most people begging for money ,it’s for drugs.

Sharyn said...

Really, they are adults. If they had kids, I'd send over Pampers and Formula but cash? They don't want to eat pizza with you, they want to go out together using your wallet. We have the same problem. Grown ass adults calling us for money "cuz they're out of food", then Bill gives them $20 and they buy 2 packs of cigs and $10 in gas. I keep my own "food bank" box since food banks are few and far between where we live. If you call me for "food money", you will receive a sturdy box of non perishable foods. You did good. And you asked the right person. And he handled it correctly. You got your $100 a month to spend. Who needs it more, you or Tut?

Sharyn said...

Old Tut (as I for some reason call her. Probably cuz I can't remember her name) and her beau can dumpster dive. Hang out behind the pizza place and wait for the guy to bring out the garbage. I did it. Furnished an apt and fed my child supplemented by weekly "dives". You might warn her to wear sturdy shoes tho. I jumped in on a nail, it went thru my flip flop (bad Margaritaville story here), and I did have to limp all the way home, where my neighbor pulled it out. I had to go get a tetanus shot cuz I dreamed I had lock jaw! LOL