Tuesday, October 23, 2018

A Double Edged Sword…

These new anxiety meds are kicking my ass to put it bluntly. Yes, they have helped with the anxiety immensely, but I am too sleepy all the time to enjoy it.

I got home from volunteering yesterday, took my noon dose, and laid down for a nap and didn’t wake up until 7pm. I then took my nightly dose and fell back asleep and didn’t wake up until noon today. I am tempted to try and not take them today and see what happens. I don’t want to sleep away my life. I am just scared of the anxiety monster.

“Give them time,” Old Fuss and Feathers warily and gently said over the phone a moment ago. “You will probably get over the initial sleepiness.”

“I’ll try,” I said not very hopeful.  

I dare say I hope so. If I take my noon dose, I bet I will sleep until late in the evening. This happens with a lot of psychiatric medications. The side effects can be worse than what you are trying to cure.

2 comments:

glittermom said...

Can you try taking a smaller dose? Maybe cut the pills in half.

Beth said...

Side effects like excessive sleeping are worst at the beginning, which is why I always titrate up fairly slowly to medications, even if the doctor tells me I shouldn’t have to. Mostly they have no idea how it feels! I agree with glittermom about taking half at least and slowly increasing. You may find that a smaller dose works fine.