Monday, September 18, 2017

Damned if You Do and Damned if You Don't...

Dad told me he wasn't giving me my mother's car if I continue to carry Rich and Tuleana around. It was kind of an ultimatum.

"You're putting all those miles on your car and they don't give a shit about you," my father told me knowing nothing of their relationship with me and our friendship. He only knows that I give them rides and they are very poor (relatively speaking).

"I was just going to drive your mother's car and not buy me a new Accord sedan," is what he told me.

Well, I told Tuleana this morning that I can only carry them on Friday afternoons to go get their groceries and that's it -- it was a concession of sorts. I then called my father and left a message on his cellphone to tell him I am not getting my mother's car.

"I have just too soft of a heart and they need me," I told my father with a tear streaming down my cheek. "They are my friends and need my help."

I have yet to hear from my father about the message I left. He is out and about in his Honda so that means he is nearby and will probably be home soon. I have no earthly idea about how he is going to react.

*********************************************

Dad just called me a moment ago. 

"I am leaving that entirely up to you," he told me. "I am going to rely on your judgment, but don't let them use you. You are naive about the world, Andrew."

I keep thinking about the gang I hung out with at the Piggly Wiggly every morning years ago and Rich and Tuleana seem like pussycats in comparison. I don't tell my father this, though. I once lived a rough and tumble life myself -- drinking every day and raising holy hell. 

1 comment:

glittermom said...

You have to do what feels right to you, not what other people tell you to do. How many cars does your father need.