Thursday, September 28, 2017

Lots to See Down At the Tracks Today...

I parked at the bank and walked over to the tracks as a train roared through downtown. Perfect timing. It had the traffic backed up quite a ways and I am sure a few people were cursing under their breath to be caught by this train. I always love it when that happens. Front row seat to a freight.

I was interested in the loading operation down by where the old cotton mill stood. They were loading gondolas with debris from the demolition. The build date on the gondolas was in the 1970's and they were quite beaten up looking like relics from another time with years of graffiti adorning their sides.

I noticed way down the tracks that the block signal had slowly turned from green, to yellow, and to red. Another train was on the way. I gave the tracks a wide berth as the engineer waved at me from the cab of the lead locomotive. I waved back vigorously. The second train was full of empty automotive carriers no doubt headed to the massive Kia automotive plant on the outskirts of town.

I was getting hungry so I walked across the highway to the new and nice independently owned convenience store downtown. I walked out with milk and several packages of cheese on wheat crackers. The Papas will ask me about this debit charge in the next day or so when he surveys his financial empire on his computer.

No comments: